Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
6,953 Posts
If you were Kate, wouldn't you want your own ring? I think they could have paid tribute to Diana in some other way. I'm just sayin', every woman wants her own engagement ring no matter what the circumstances, don't you think?

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I wouldn't have wanted it..seems weird to me that someone would want a dead woman's ring (unless it was like a family heirloom).

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
If you were Kate, wouldn't you want your own ring? I think they could have paid tribute to Diana in some other way. I'm just sayin', every woman wants her own engagement ring no matter what the circumstances, don't you think?
I don't see a problem with it. My mom's ring belonged to my dad's grandmother. Well... the rock did. They got it reset in a new band.

Plus, WHY should a guy shell out 2-3 months wages if there is a family ring or rock available? You can always get it reset for MUCH less than the cost of a new ring if you don't like it (and if it wouldn't cause too much of a hulabaloo in the family). Use the money that would have been spent on a new ring to put towards a down-payment on a house. Thats more functional than a shiny rock.

Though in the Prince's case, he does have access to a LOT of money and doesn't need to buy any houses. But still, I wouldn't be surprised if some people would saw their own foot off to own that ring.

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
I obviously wish them luck, but other than that I don't give two hoots. I think the British royal family needs to be abolished.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
So what we're seeing so far on this thread is that Americans care about this a lot more than English people? What's that about?
We don't have official royalty in the US... so it facinates us. That's what I think anyway.

Plus we aren't taxed out the wazoo for their extravegant lifestyles.

Oh wait... we have Senators and Presidents for that ;)

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
So what we're seeing so far on this thread is that Americans care about this a lot more than English people? What's that about?
1. They cost us money (OK, only a few coppers and it could be argued that they bring on a lot of tourism to make up for it, but even so, its the principal)

2. Why should a particular family be considered superior to everyone else in the country due to accident of birth?

3. Due to the royal family, we are not British 'citizens' but 'subjects' - again underlying the fact that these people are supposed to be superior to us.

4. The fact that we don't have a written constitution protecting our rights is due to the presence of the royal family.

Other than that, I have no problems with them at all ;)

·
Banned
470 Posts
At least they aren't inbreeding as much nowadays, and I think having them around allows the romanticized fair princess and handsome prince fantasies from girl's youth to remain somewhat rooted in reality.

At least its not like in Thailand, where speaking even slightly ill of the King will land you in jail for a few decades to think it over.

We have royal families here in the US too though, we just don't crown them.

Our oligarchy involves the ruling families like Clintons, Bushs, Kennedys, etc and same w/ the banks and media up top for the most part.

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
Ah-ha, so maybe it's easier to be infatuated with them from another country, where they have no ranking over us and we don't spend money on them.
Precisely. They certainly keep the class system alive and kicking as well.

I was reading the responses from people on a news forum and one person actually had the nerve to suggest that Prince William was superior to us and, although she is just a 'commoner' at present, his bride to be will also become superior to us once they are married, and therefore we have no right to complain about paying for their wedding (which is what we will be doing, despite the fact we are in the midst of a recession with about 1 million people about to become unemployed).

I despair sometimes when I see attitudes like that. The British royal family need to be gotten rid off, its as simple as that. They are no better than anyone else. Why the heck should I pay for their wedding? They have more money that I'll ever earn in a lifetime.

Right, stepping off soap-box now. :lol:

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
At least its not like in Thailand, where speaking even slightly ill of the King will land you in jail for a few decades to think it over.
I learned the other day that having an affair with a member of the royal family (for example if I had an affair with Prince Charles .... ewww what a horrible thought but anyway ...) I would be committing high treason.

High treason is the only offence in this country these days for which you can be put to death. Of course, it would never actually happen in practice - it would be insane to execute someone for having an extra-marital affair with a British royal - but the fact is, it could happen, on paper. Interesting, huh?

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think William passing on Diana's engagement ring to his intended is a nice tribute to his mother's legacy. I love any wedding ceremony and "The Royals" can really put on an extravaganza.
Melysion I can understand what you are saying about the excessive spending being the burden of the people, but I'm reallycurious about the GB's class system. I thought that went out with high buttoned shoes.

·
Premium Member
28,619 Posts
I also think it's lovely that Kate is getting Diana's ring. Obviously, the prince is not trying to save money. He is honoring both Kate and Diana.

You have a parliamentary form of government, not a monarchy, really. I love tradition, and I doubt Queen Elizabeth is costing more money than she attracts. Your rights are in good shape, my UK friends. :p

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
You have a parliamentary form of government, not a monarchy, really. I love tradition, and I doubt Queen Elizabeth is costing more money than she attracts. Your rights are in good shape, my UK friends. :p
We are classed as a constitutional monarchy - which effectively means that our Queen is Head of State. She doesn't have any parliamentary powers of course, I'm not suggesting she does. ;)

And, as I've already said, I have no doubt they bring money into the UK via tourism. But seeing how rich the British royals are, why should the UK taxpayer be giving them any money at all?

Jeanie, if theres one thing that is not in good shape (relatively speaking when compared to what we have had in the past) in the UK, its our rights. We have had a oppressive Labour government for the last 13 years which has systematically destroyed many of our freedoms. Thankfully it seems we will be given at least some of them back thanks to the present government. They certainy need to be.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts