Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What sorts of things should I ask the vet beforehand or talk to him about? I am a raw feeder, so I know I can probably expect a lecture there, LOL. I also subscribe to the minimalistic vaccine school of thought, so there is that. But what questions about the procedure should I be sure to ask him?

·
Super Moderator
26,659 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL, no you misunderstand, I am asking if there is anything I should ask while deciding WHICH vet will do the surgery. I am thinking about just getting him a vasectomy, that way his growth plates close properly due to still having some hormones. But if I did that would he still have a higher chance of spraying?

·
Registered
67 Posts
LOL, no you misunderstand, I am asking if there is anything I should ask while deciding WHICH vet will do the surgery. I am thinking about just getting him a vasectomy, that way his growth plates close properly due to still having some hormones. But if I did that would he still have a higher chance of spraying?
I've read a bit about vasectomies before I got Voldie neutered and the answers is (most likely) yes: having a vasectomy means that the hormones won't change at all, only that he'll be unable of umpregnating females in heat. There's a chance he'll start spraying (not sure how old he is at the moment, though) and displaying tomcat behaviour (heightened aggressive, trying to roam, looking for females in estrust, etc.)

I would, however, recommend waiting a couple months longer if you're worried about his growth? (I only got my kitten done at around 7 months old and he's just fine).

·
Registered
336 Posts
Vasectomised boys are just like stud boys. They are kept just like studs, and will spray, may yodel etc.

I wouldn't worry about his size, I get my kittens done at 10 weeks and they grow to a fine size. The Winn Foundation study found those desexed young grow bigger, taller and longer than those fixed later.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Exactly. I want him to be a natural size for him. Not larger because he got snipped. :/ But it is looking like snipping him is really the only reasonable option.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He has an appointment for 8AM tomorrow. NOW I am getting nervous. I know he will be fine, but he is my BABY. Bottle fed him from day 3!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts