Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my vet was okay with the idea of a probiotic for Toby. She mentioned something she could order for $45 for a 30 day supply. I asked her about just running to the pharmacy for some human stuff. She said sure, give him 1/4 the human amount recommended. She also mentioned yogurt - the acidophilus, probitic type, but I really don't want Toby getting use to food from the fridge.

I'm guessing I'd be looking at a powder but need him to take it somehow. Is it nasty tasting? Sprinkle it on his food? Moisten my finger and put it in his gums?

Is this what I should be looking at or what do you recommend?

ProNutrients Probiotic Dietary Supplement Powder Packets | Walgreens

·
Registered
273 Posts
the only thing i would advise is getting it from either a legit supplement store or from a natural supermarket such as whole foods. supplements are not regulated and many (most?) that you get from places such as walgreens or a regular grocery store may not be of a quality that would provide maximum benefit.

acidophilus is really cheap, the one that i take costs $19.00 for 360 pills.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
You should be able to buy acidophilus as a powder or in capsules from any health food store. I generally give about 1/10 of a human dose to my cats. It easily mixes into canned food and doesn't even seem noticeable to the cats.

I prefer not to give any dairy products to my cats, including yogurt, because of the lactose-intolerance that many cats experience.

Laurie

1 - 3 of 3 Posts