Cat Forum banner

What do you think of training your cat to use the toilet?

• It's great if I could train them to do it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't force them to use the toilet if they don't like it.

• It's just wierd.

• It's unclean.

• It's unnatural for them to go in water.

• My cats use the toilet too!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am training my cats to go on the toilet. Everything is (was) going well, until the last step - removing the trainer.

Just to cap if you don't know how to do it (which technically I don't either but here goes). You get a sitz bath, fill it will litter, and slowly make larger and larger holes in the center until there is all water an no litter. I can give you a complete rundown on this if you are new to training.

Now here is my problem. This is a behaviour problem, and since I am new to cats (1+ years), I am not sure how my cats think:

- The cats ALWAYS go pee in the toilet. They have never peed anyplace else once I started training them to use the toilet
- The cats 95% go on the toilet #2 (poo) when the the trainer is in place. (some accidents, but hey, that's what I'm training them to do).
- The last step of training (removing the trainer), makes the cats fail on poop nearly 100%. (they poop next to the toilet, not in it)

Now, why are they doing this? They know to pee in the toilet, and have never failed, and they know to go poo there too once the trainer is there.

But the last step, of removing the Sitz bath causes them to freak out and they go next to the toilet, instead of in it.

How do I convince them it's OK to go poo in the same place they pee? How do I convince them it's OK to go poo even when there is no trainer
(even though they know to go pee when there is no trainer).

They will even hold it for a day and not go at all. Then if I notice them holding it, I put back the trainer for like 5 minutes and both jump up in desperation and poop in the tiolet. So they know to go there. But next time, if they hold it for a day, and I don't give in and refuse to put the trainer back, they freak out and go next to the toilet.

Fortunately I have tile floors, and lots of patience.

Again, they never pee anyplace else, and they pee without the trainer.

I have tried both positive training (reward when they get it right) and negative training (scolding when they poop on the floor). But it's not succesful when the trainer is removed.

The issue for me is - they KNOW to pee there, it's not like they don't know or something.

Any suggestions?

The last page of my website has pictures. The first page has some videos of my girl cat going pee on the toilet. Like you wanted to see a cat pee right? Ok well I just thought I would send you anyway.

http://www.sonicspeedsters.com/other/?page=Kitty

Help!!!

[email protected]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is a really good article. I will give the cats 2 weeks to either get it, ot not, then go back to litter box.

I didn't realize how using the toilet helps me now, but hurts them in the long run.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'm of two minds about this, 1) it would be great to not have to clean litter boxes anymore....but, 2) I have a hard enough to find the bathroom empty without the cats usuing it too!!! :lol:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts