Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had Jerry since about 3 weeks old due to his mother being hit by a car. I bottle fed him and his sister (minnie) and they both did wonderfully. Jerry in particular is a very very good cat. He is healthy, and was fixed at 6 months old. He is now 2 and a half.

Jerry is playfull and loving. He never fights with the other cats. He lets my daughters pick him up and carry him around like a baby doll. He sleps with us in our bed at night. He allows us to pet his belly and all over for hours if we want.

So the problem is... well first about 6 months ago, my 13 year old step son was visiting for the night. He was in his room with Jerry and Jerry scratched him. It was a pretty deep scratch right across his nose and eye. It bleed alot.

We figured he must havew been aggravating Jerry, because it is not in Jerrys personality to scratch. And it is in a 13 year old boys personality to agravate.

Well yesturday afternoon my cousin was here. She loves Jerry so much because he looks very simalar to her cat. She went over to him and pet him and talked to him very nicely. She picked him up and started to love him. Well jerry scratched her, right across the face. From her ear all the way across both eyes.

He did it on purpose, and it was deep. I am very glad and fortunate it was not a little lower because he could have scratched her eyes.

So why would he do this?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Cats are very independent and don't like to be handled at any time we please; maybe Jerry has been sensitive lately. Let everybody know to be gentle while approaching him. I am sure he has a good reason for doing this. He might see the way a person is leaning over him dangerous and he is trying to protect himself - or it might remind him of your step-son or somebody else that might have been rough to him.
My kitties don't like children very much either. I watched from the distance how Frosty got on the table and when 3 year old Sydney tried to discipline him by clapping her hands like I do - he just reached the paw at her "who are you to tell me what to do little munchkin :twisted: ".

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought my step son may have been rough with him, however he insistes he was not.

My cousin, however is 29 years old, and did not miss handle him at all. She was very gentle with him. She also pet him and talked to him before trying to pick him up.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
A behavior change like thsi would make me concerned that there is some sort of pain involved. Maybe his back hurts when he's picked up a certain way. Jerry needs a good physical exam by his vet to rule out a physical problem before we assume it's behavioral.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I never thought of it maybe being a physical problem, thank you Dr. Jean, I will call his doctor.

However, Jerry has not changed anything in his daily behavior. He still is very loveing and cuddly with us. right after he scratched my cousin yesturday my 4 year old picked him up kinda under his arms, you know how a child will, where his body was kinda standing upright and his feet almost tuched the floor. He didnt even wiggle.

Jerry is very tolerant of my children, he lets them do anything without scratching them. Noe that they hurt him or play rough, because they know better.

So other than thease two instances with pepole who arent around him very much, he is normal. It seems to me that it may have something to do with strangers...however some strangers he is fine with, although i dont remember if anyone else has tried to hold him.

So why would his personality change around strangers?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Smell might be a factor as well
I hope there is nothing wrong with Jerry healthwise - glad to hear you will check on that :wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts