Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read the posting on declawing on this forum, so please don't lambast me for declawing my cat. It was either adopt him and declaw him or leave him without a home. In any case, a week before surgery, he was licking his back quite a bit, the vet gave him a shot of cortizone. 8 days later, the same vet did the declaw. Now 3 weeks later, my cat is very sensitive to walking on his paws. I called the vet and he had me pick up 5mg of prednisone twice a day for a week then once a day for another week. Does this sound right to you? The main reason I ask is that I have heard that if you're on a steriod, you don't heal as well after surgery. Why didn't the vet think of this? Is the new meds of prednisone really going to help him with pain and healing? Please let me know your thoughts on the meds.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Prednisone is probably not appropriate. It's a great anti-inflammatory, but three weeks after surgery, simple inflammation is not likely the problem. Steroids do inhibit healing because they prevent the formation of collagen. Also, the cortisone shot given 4 weeks ago is still in the cat's system unless it was a very short-acting one like Vetalog.

It is possible that your cat is developing complications such as infection, in which case steroids would be the very worst thing to give. I would strongly recommend a second opinion from another vet. A vet that prescribes steroids without even wanting to *see* a recent surgery to check for post-op complications is not the right one for your cat.

Unfortunately your cat may always be sore and sensitive on his paws because declawing causes permanent nerve damage to the feet and results in phantom pain, gait change and, eventually, arthritis.

BTW, in my experience it is *never* a choice between declawing and homelessness, death, abandonment, etc. There are many alternatives to prevent accidental scratches, damage to furniture etc. It is a choice between "declaw" and "put in a little time and effort." Not lambasting, just saying what it really comes down to.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for you advise. We have an appointment with a different vet tomorrow afternoon.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
I hope your cat gets better, it would be horrible if they were in pain for the rest of their lives b/c of the surgery....Keep us updated too! <<))

1 - 5 of 5 Posts