Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm new here, so hope I'm doing this properly. I have a six year-old furbaby that ripped through two layers of screen, and fell 3+ stories. This was about six days ago, give or take. She was taken immediately to the vet, where it was determined that she had too badly shattered her left hind leg, and an amputation was required. She spent overnight at the vet, and then she came home along with antibiotics, and pain medicine.

Though the first few days were rough, she has eventually started eating regularly again, purring, going pee, and interacting minimally with us. The recovery, for the most part has went very smoothly, and she has had her first check-up since where the vet had to administer an enema since she is still not wanting to use the litter box for anything else other than peeing. She did poop then, and we felt that perhaps this was a turning point, but unfortunately, since those two days ago, she has not went to the bathroom since other than to pee.

She has been fine in all other areas, but she still seems to have issues with pooping, and the bruising around her lower belly has not really lightened in any way. The vet initially did a full look at her, and they stated that everything else looked fine (other than her leg), but our major concern is her lack of bowel movements. I would be grateful for any sort of advice anyone can give me concerning this. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
27,174 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You have my sympathies about the amputation. It's quite traumatic for the cat and their person. My little Cali lost a front leg and shoulder because of cancer. But I think losing a hind leg must make it very awkward to use the litter box at first. I am concerned that your vet isn't being more proactive about the lack of bowel movements. Some people have good results from giving their cats canned pumpkin (not the pie filling). But I really think that contacting the vet again or finding a new vet might be the best way to help your little girl.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sending hugs to you and your sweet baby for her swift recovery. I agree Vet should be more proactive, perhaps like people the pain meds have stopped her up and yes on it prob being extremely awkward for her to adjust to her new normal for using litter box.

I would definitely call Vet or seek out new one ASAP.

·
Super Moderator
27,174 Posts
Best of luck to all of you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The pain meds may be causing the problem but also the accident. My Rupert had a wooden rocker fall on his tailbone and compressed it enough to cause bowel problems. After many enemas , lactolose, and
very painful hard bowel movements from sitting inside for too long, the vet suggested putting him down. I did research and decided to try Miralax. It was a lifesaver for both of us! Just sprinkled on top of his wet food, takes about 3-4 days to work but can be adjusted up or down depending on consistency. My young kitty lived 15 more years with no further problems in that area. After a few years, his body adjusted and I only had to give every now and then. Ask the vet, my vet knew nothing of this so I explained to her, then changed vets. Hope you get some answers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts