Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im really having trouble brushing my cats teeth. I get someone else to hold her for me, then i try to open her mouth and brush her teeth. But when i open her mouth, she really struggles and im also frigtened i will hurt her or she will get really moody with me. :lol: Do you think i should get another person to hold her mouth open for me, so i can then brush them. Only problem is, i cant do it on my own, and i ask if i can have help when brushing them. But everybody keeps forgetting, and they just aren't getting brushed. Can anyone help me out? :?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
It should not be necessary to hold the cat's mouth open at all. If it becomes a struggle, you automatically lose, and the cat's teeth will *never* get brushed; cats have a long memory.

Try one of the soft fingertip brushes. At first, just rub her lips gently. Most cats enjoy having the corners of their mouths rubbed because there are scent glands there. Take it a little further each day. Up under the lip a bit. A little stroke across the gums. Slowly, gently. One little step at a time. Eventually she should tolerate a full brushing.

If not, be sure she gets a complete checkup at the vet's every year and a dental cleaning when needed.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
It's ok, don't give up. It's really good that you're trying.

Start off slow, to get her used to you poking around inside her mouth.
Like, just lifting her lips to get her used to you touching her like that.
How do you hold her? Can you get her in your lap, her back to you, and you holding her head up with your left hand, then lifting her lips? Give this step a few weeks. Praise and a treat right afterwards.
Then, sticking the brush around her mouth, and gently press against her teeth. Let her bite it, it's ok.
When she gets more calm about it (maybe a few more weeks), then you can put kittypaste on it to use it.
Don't hold her down if she's struggling, just let her go and try it again later.
It's good if you get just a couple teeth at a time in the beginning.
Don't scrub hard, kitty gums are very delicate.

The whole time you're doing this kind of stuff, just talk gently to her, it really helped calm mine down when I was starting. Praises too. Then at the end, have a treat ready to give her immediately.

Hope that's the kind of info you were looking for.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for helping Drjean, and superkitties that really helps. We hold her over the shoulder, because thats how we always hold her and she feels very comfortable like that. :) Well, i will give it another try but take my time with it. Thanks! ;)

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Chocolate said:
We hold her over the shoulder, because thats how we always hold her and she feels very comfortable like that. :)
Right, that's what I figured, but thought I'd suggest how I brush mine so you can try sometimes on your own, since you mentioned earlier that you had problems finding someone to help you.

I'll think of other ways you can hold her that she might like....yoohoo! kitty pies, where are you? I need to try a couple things with you.....hmmm, wonder why they're running away? LOL

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I hold my cats on my lap too (as Superkitties). This way they don't try to run away! And I don't open their mouth...I just put the brush behind the lips and brush...Sometimes they open their mounth and try to bite it. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts