Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently tried my cats on a couple of the Wellness canned foods. They are also on Wellness Super5Mix Salmon, Turkey & Herring Oil Formula Dry.

The canned formulas I have picked up are...

Wellness Chicken & Lobster
Wellness Sardines, Shrimp and Crab

My cats seem to have a hard time digesting this wet food, hairballs, vomiting, dry heaving and such. I could understand possibliltes as to why. But I wanted to know if anyone else had come across similar issues with their own cats.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I'd stay away from fish; a lot of cats are sensitive, and it seems to predispose cats to a lot of problems like cystitis, crystals, and food allergies.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The thing is, I've let my cats try so many various foods before even with these same type of rich ingredients etc, only from different brands. This is the first time they have ever responded like this to a canned food.

·
Registered
282 Posts
My cats eat all flavors of Wellness canned with no problems. They are on an almost all-canned diet, maybe 90/10 wet/dry.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Have never had any problems with Wellness. They love it.
Only exception is that they did not care for the chicken and lobster.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
AngelZoo said:
The canned formulas I have picked up are...

Wellness Chicken & Lobster
Wellness Sardines, Shrimp and Crab
Oh, WOW!!! We don't have those flavors stocked yet *sniff*, so I don't have any input on whether mine have had reactions yet. The closest thing I could compare is the Wellness Chicken and Herring, and they didn't have any problems.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've even tried feeding some what smaller amounts by hand, thinking maybe they were just too excited over this new food they all ate it too fast. Which really didn't seem to make much of a difference either.

Perhaps after these cans are gone, I will just stick to my Wysong Rabbit and Duck.

·
Registered
821 Posts
My cats never had that kind of reaction to Wellness, but they don't like it very much. It seems very dry and pasty to me for a wet food.

·
Registered
237 Posts
my cats seem to have great reactions to wellness... they eat it right up, and haven't had any runny stool or bad reactions to it -- they'll even eat it cold, right out of the fridge :)

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Funny that you mention eating it cold right out of the fridge. They had not problem with that before, but are not starting to get picky. They don't want to eat it cold anymore. Little stinkers.

·
Registered
56 Posts
i belive my kitten had an allergic reaction to wellness salmon and trout.
its an odd flavor i dont feed them often, but my older kitty threw up a few min after eating it, and the kitten broke out in a rash with bumps and scaley bits....

perhaps it wasnt the food, but all signs seemed to be pointing towards it...

been over a week now and they have both been fine since not feeding them that flavor...

now i stay away from fish flavors and stick with "chicken" "beef and chicken" and "turkey"

i dont blame the brand, but the fish itself... i just wonder if it was the salmon or the trout ?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hyper: Well see, I have certainly fed them canned foods before with all sorts of ingredients in them such as crab, shrimp, trout what have you. But only on the Wellness have they done this. This is my first time trying any of the Wellness canned foods, perhaps there is something in their products specifically *shrugs*.

My cats are the same, with in about 3-5 mins. they will start showing signs of digestive upset and it can last for about 12 hours.

You know, my cats have never objected to eating food straight from the fridge, I guess I should consider myself lucky? :)

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Hmmm....I've never tried any of the Wellness fish varieties on Assumpta, as she's not crazy about fish in general. Once in a while I'll give her a small serving of their Turkey & Salmon or Chicken & Herring, just for the sake of a little variety, but she's not crazy about it like she is for their Chicken and Turkey varieties. I think I'll continue to steer clear of the fish mixes, though I was planning to try a small can of each to see if she liked any of them as an occasional treat. I guess I'll just continue to let her steal from my plate when we have fish. :)

I have to get on the phone with the company that supplies the organic/natural food co-op that I belong to, as all they stock is the fancy fish mixes. They're only charging around 70 cents per 5.5 oz can in case lots (the going rate here is 89 cents per can), so I'm hoping they'll start stocking the standard flavors, too. The dry Wellness is about $20-22 dollars for a 12 pound bag on sale this month.

Edited to add: I lied. I just checked my catalog and Wellness canned is also on sale this month for 65 cents a can. Sure wish they carried all the varieties!

·
Registered
34 Posts
My cats have done fine on Wellness canned foods (although they don't care much for any of the turkey ones). They love the chicken/lobster one!

·
Registered
88 Posts
The thing is, I've let my cats try so many various foods before even with these same type of rich ingredients etc, only from different brands. This is the first time they have ever responded like this to a canned food
I wonder if the Wellness may be more concentrated or have less fillers? I have no idea, but that's always a possibility if they've not had a problem with the flavors before.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
jvan: they have also been on canned foods similar to wellness ingredients and resulted in no problem. Now adays high quality canned food is the only thing I will buy.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
My cats love Wellness but not the fishy flavored ones that much like chicken/herring, lobster and shrimp, etc. :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts