Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted a 1-2 year old male cat about 2 months ago. I have had 3 vets from 3 different clinics look at him and all they tell me is that he might have allergies. I am wondering if any one as other advise or has seen something simular.

1) He has red/maroon eye gunk that harden in the corner of his eyes by his nose. This happens within a couple of hours of me cleaning them. If you look closely at his eyes, you see little red dots where our eye lids would be.

2) He pulls out hair with his teeth on his tail and around where he poops. I have seen him do this to his tail and I find clups of hair all the time. There never apears to be any bald spots though.

3) He smells like stinky feet. I have had his anal glands squized, but no change.

4) He is a short haired domestic cat and he sheds A LOT! My medium hair cat doesn't shed as much as he does! He leaves piles of hair when he moves from laying down.

He eats and drinks normally, pees and poops regularly (although, he does not bury it after going) and he is affectionate. The vet said he is negative on any internal parasites and ear mites.

My other cat exhibits none of these things.

I have started to find these "allergies" by starting with the litter. After that, I'll try changing the food if the litter doesn't work.

Thanks for any advise you can give.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hi-

I notice that you are in Minnesota. I'm not too sure about the weather there, but in MD where I live, Spring is really trying hard to arrive. I noticed that Little Guy is starting to "shed". He is losing an abnormally large amount of fur when I pet him. I think maybe that might be the cause of some of the hair loss?

About the red eye.............maybe you need to worry about that one. Hopefully Dr. Jean will catch this thread and have an idea. If it is conjunctivitis, your guy should be on an antibiotic for that. I thought I heard that a goopy eye with redness is a symptom of that. You mentioned that the red is hardened and in the corner of his eye with little red dots. I think I would be worried about that more than the hair loss, which may be due to seasonal changes?

The but thing, no idea there. Maybe he just likes a really clean heiny, for which you should be thankful.

Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Problems

Any one else with advise on him or knows what might be going on?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He is fed Perina Cat Chow along with my other cat. Could that be causing all this though?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
It could be contributing. That's a poor quality food. Your cat may be having trouble digesting and assimilating it.

Why don't you have a look at some of the articles in our free article library on nutrition, chronic herpes conjunctivitis (a common cause of eye discharge and inflammation), inflammatory bowel disease, and BioSuperfood. I think you'll learn a lot! Let us know if you still have questions after looking at those. http://www.littlebigcat.com/?action=library

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 7 of 7 Posts