Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

We recently got two himiliyan cats, one is here at home and the other is for a relative who lives six hours away. Well the cat that is six hours away had eye problems. Mucus kept on building up(i mentioned it in another post) so we took it to the vet and it said that it had a respiratory infection. So he gave some eye wash and tetracyclin. He also took a swab of the mucous for testing. I was just talking with my breeder and she says that the tetracycline only helps for the eyes, he gave nothing for the respiratory infection???? My other cat is coming down with it so we gave it to the breeder right away so she can take care of it, shes going to the vet to get all the meds. The problem is that the cat that lives 6 hours away has no meds for the resp infection. The vet up there was supposed to call today with test results from the swab but he hasnt. I am very frustrated. Anyone else dealt with this respiratory infection. I am really scared for the one that is 6 hours away. We might go up this weekend to get it and bring it down, is that too late? Hopefully the vet will call and get this cat some meds. This vet isn't too bright, we also found out that he is charging insane amounts, it cost 200 dollars for the tetracyline, eye wash, swab and the visit. Thats quite a bit.

EDIT: o ya the vet told us that the cat had Chlamydia?? I am pretty sure thats the name of the respiratory infection that the cat has.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Tetracycline would be the usual antibiotic for feline chlamydia, since it affects the eyes. Most URI otherwise are viral and not responsive to antibiotics. Regardless, contact with a vet is advisable for the cat that's 6 hours away. It may not receive an antibiotic for it's URI, but if chlamydia is present, tetracycline would be probably be advisable.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea its on tetracycline, we took it to the vet on friday, i am sorry if my post was confusing, the one that is six hours away is on the tetracycline. But i was told by my breeder that it only helps the eyes and does nothing for the infection??

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
It's an antibiotic, it's *for* the infection. Tetracycline is a safe and effective antibiotic. One reason it's so good is that it penetrates virtually everywhere in the body, including the eyes and respiratory tract.

Where'd your breeder get *her* veterinary degree? :lol:

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol! Thanks Drjean. I was really worried because the breeder was telling me "o it wont work for the resp. infection, blah blah.... and how its not an antibiotic" alrite so good it will clean up the infection, great! Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So is this really serious dr jean?

Both of them are being treated with the anti-biotics. The one is being treated with the tetracyline that is put in the eye three times daily. The other one is being cared for by the breeder who took it to the vet and is now on antibiotics. Will they get better?? Is it fatal?

sorry for all the questions but i didn't take them to the vet so i am not to sure.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Oh, no, Chlamydia is not that serious. It's a typical nasty little bacteria but it's not systemically invasive, so not liable to do any serious damage. They'll be just fine, none the worse for wear!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 7 of 7 Posts