Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's been 3 months since trapping Jack. I've been increasing my time with him and he seems to be reciprocating and is closest to me within the household.

I was able to clip all but 2 nails over the weekend, but I may have scared him in my haste to get him to accept it. :( I clipped 7 ok and I stopped when he appeared uncomfortable. However, after a while, I attempted to again and he clearly remembered. I got impatient, turned him around to sit in my lap like a child and tried to clip again. He's never been turned around before so he was startled. He squirmed and I still didn't get it. I finally clipped nail #8 and at that point I let him go.

Afterwards, he appeared wary of me, but not enough to run from me. Oh fiddlesticks. He got his last clipping about 2 months ago and I was anxious because the nails were starting to curl down. I think I'll have to wait a few days for him to forget the experience and get some distance before I can try again with the remaining 2.

He also started to get out of his dumpling house and would take strolls around the house. He usually sticks to the main floor, but lately he's been coming upstairs to join the 'wake up crew' in the mornings. Sometimes, he comes up to watch the chinchilla in my room.

I think it's safe to say that he's finally relaxed and feels he's part of the household along with the rest of the furkids. Sometimes, I tear up when I think about how we first met. At the time, I hadn't wanted to take him in because I felt overwhelmed with the existing furkids. However, he's turned out to be so little work and so much joy. I cannot imagine him suffering outside in the cold. I am so glad we found each other. I gave him a home, but he's given me such undescribable happiness.

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
try treats and or something else (brushing) while clipping the claws, so he'll consider the ordeal something good, not something to be scared about, I also clip my cats claws in private(none of the other cats around) they dodn't like the other cats to know.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip but, I'm afraid it's not going to work with Jack. He's extremely food motivated. If I whip out any food, he's going to totally go for the food and move around so much, I won't be able keep him steady enough to clip without hurting him. Which is why I was trying to butter him up with cheek rubs and head scratches.

Guess I also forgot to mention this is the first time that I've clipped him. The very first time was at the vet. I COULD take himi to the vet to get it done, but I think the actual trip would actually be more traumatizing than me clipping at home.

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
with my 2 rehabbed ferals I try to include some foot and pad massage during a petting or handling session, with our other cats we do this from the start, most cats are not fond of the foot attention at first, but get used to it in time, if I can keep the clippers out of sight until its time helps also, a small treat after may goe a long way to making next easier..

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
That's great progress!

Sometimes I can't get them all in one session either. (I have had my cats since mid Sept). I usually kind of kneel/sit on my legs with the cat facing with their back to me because their instinct is to back up & they just back into my legs that way. Lily is pretty cooperative; Harli gets squirmy. I give treats afterwards, but both have to get the treats. Where one is; the other follows. & there is no way I could give Harli a treat without Lily getting one; she'd steal it from Harli otherwise

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the encouragement! Well, it seems that he does like attention. I think I'll continue to butter him up and add food/pad massage to the routine. Handling his paws more may desensitize him to the attention, in turn, he might not care about the clippers as much...hopefully......yeah. What do you think about this? Being open and showing him the clippers first or just ambushing him quickly with it? It's hard to ambush a cat though.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Sometimes, he comes up to watch the chinchilla in my room.
As a former feral I wonder what he thinks of that. "Why on earth do they have a giant rat in here." or maybe "That thing is getting pretty plump, what are they waiting for?"

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
I tend to pet them up a bit and have the clippers hidden, if their into the petting enough I sometimes can have one paw finished before they even relize whats going on..

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
If you were able to clip 7 in one sitting, you're doing extremely well. I'd just keep doing what you're doing, with a rest in between. Then, keep it up regularly, so that if you have to stop after a few and do the rest a day or so later, it won't matter much.

I remember how conflicted you were when you first found Jack and the troubles you had with the rescue agencies (not to mention dear old Dad, who came around in the end!). I'm so happy things have worked out so well for the two of you. Jack sounds like a sweetheart.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ha, yes. I was very conflicted. I already had 1 cat, 1 dog and 1 chinchilla before. I felt overwhelmed. However, he's not that much work at all. I guess I got lucky. But I did have a lot of support from my family with the brood.

Mowmow that's funny. I wonder what he thinks. I thought he was saying 'FOOOOD!'

1 - 11 of 11 Posts