Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tooky keeps jumping high up on a cabinet which I've repeatedly tried to prevent him from doing. I've put things to block him from jumping up on it yet he manages to get up there ( by knocking eveything down of course). Once he's up there he pretends to hide as if I can't see him... Then I pull him out by his arm and give him a little yell. But I dint think this discipline technique is working. I'm scared to hurt him also when I pull him down. Does anyone have any effective discopline techniques? I've tried clapping and it's not that effective either... Thanks in advance!!! Meow

·
Registered
144 Posts
I second the squirt bottle. Cats HATE getting squirted in the face. It won't take too many times before he stops. It's worked for me 100%.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I hate to hijack this but I am having the exact same problem with Benny. He will not stop jumping on the stove and counter. I would try the water bottle idea but he LOVES water.....

sjjt you and I are in the same situation it appears. LOL!!!!

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Never disiplinee a cat. They'll just hate you for it. Toby will be on the counter when you're not looking if you rely on the bottle. Toby won't associate the counter with the bottle as he will you with the bottle.

You'll have to outsmart him.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Never disiplinee a cat. They'll just hate you for it. Toby will be on the counter when you're not looking if you rely on the bottle. Toby won't associate the counter with the bottle as he will you with the bottle.

You'll have to outsmart him.
I half agree with you. If you do NOT discipline them then they will learn nothing.

You can also try the "Citrus Trick" and wash the counter down with something that smells strongly of Orange or Lemon. MOST cats ( not all of them ) hate the citrus smell.

I left orange peels on my counter trying to keep Benny off. Half hour later I come home and he is carrying a piece of the peel in his mouth and playing with it.

:?

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I'm not recommending this, but what I would do is understand that cats climb high places. That's what they do. It's like your cat disciplining you not to drive your car anymore. I'd make a list of reasons why I don't want him up there and work on solutions to THOSE, rather than on going against a cat's nature.

The way I solved the computer chair problem I posted about yesterday: now every time I want to use the chair and Prince is in it, I place my gracious butt in what's left of space on the chair. He hates to share, because he's very big, so he politely leaves me the chair and goes sit somewhere else. No discipline, no going against him, just making him face the consequences of his acts. You want my chair, ok, we share it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts