Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to know how to open my guys mouths, have a quick look-see around in there, and escape with all digits intact and blood free. It would be great if this doesn't make them angry with me as well. I should warn you that I have large thick fingers too. If I were a vet, what training would I have gotten on this?

Thanks for any input. I have them comfortable with me playing with their paws.........working up to clipping nails, and now I want to start training them for future dental care.

·
Registered
136 Posts
If you need to give your little guy a pill, there's an interesting thread under "kitty humor"!!!!

:)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Sorry, I couldn't resist. :lol:

katsprat

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
I usually find it is easiest if I kneel over top of the cat. So the cat is between my knees facing forward, and you press your knees lightly against the cat so that it knows to stay put. Then take your right hand and place it with your fingers spread open a bit over top of the cat's head (fingers curled lightly around the muzzle). Take your index finger and slide it under the upper gum a bit, near the front of the mouth. Then you can slide your finger backwards along the gumline until it meets the back of the mouth where the upper and lower lips meet. You can stretch back the skin a bit so that you can see the teeth. Please tell me if this makes sense and if it works for you.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Here's my *almost* sure-fire method (but as we all know, there are some cats who can get out of anything!):

Back the cat up to something solid; your knees, a wall, whatever. If they can back out of your grasp, you lose!

Gently grasp the cat's head with your hand (the one closest to the wall; so if you're right-handed, use your left hand) so that your hand goes over the top of the head, your thumb goes under one cheekbone on one side, and one or two fingers under the cheekbone on the other side.

Lift the cat's head straight up (so the next is a little bit extended) and tilt it backward (so the cat is looking up; not straight up, but a pretty good angle). In this position, the cat's jaw muscles have less resistance to being pried open.

With your other hand (I usually keep the pill between my thumb and first finger, and use the ring finger to do the prying), put your fingertip at the point of the lower jaw and open it downward. Pop the pill as far back in the mouth as possible, at the back of the tongue where they can't spit it out.

The trick, of course, is to be gentle, but fast. You'll get the hang of it eventually.

Good luck!
Dr. Jean

1 - 6 of 6 Posts