Cat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are fairly new cat owners. We've had our 6 year old (rescue) cat for just over a year now. We've yet to have success in trimming her claws. As cuddly as she is, she despises having her paws touched. Didn't seem to be a big deal in my mind. She has plenty of scratching posts.

However, we are now looking at getting new couches. It isn't that she's using the old couch as a scratching post (except occasionally) BUT she does walk on it. She jumps from the arm of the current couch to the top of her cat perch/post. Photo shows the damage. There is similar damage on the loveseat arm where she likes to sit sometimes. She also likes to walk across the top of the couch to look out the window. I fear the new couches will get similar damage.

I'm not keen on covering the new couches with throws and crap. Rather defeats the purpose, imo, of getting new couches.

Any suggestions on what options we may have?

Was assuming I'd need to get another scratch post for near the back side of the loveseat (where she occasionally scratches).

Saw these softpaws mentioned on another thread. Do they really work? Is there any way I'll be able to get them on her if we can't even trim her nails?

Any other suggestions?

[Hubby is wanting leather-like fabric on new couches -- not soft (ie. claw-hiding) fabric.]

Attachments

·
Registered
981 Posts
Well, you could work to desensitize the cat to having her nails trimmed. Or, take her to a groomer or a vet to have them trimmed.

I don't have any suggestions about the couch since you don't want to put a cover on it.
I don't think there's anything else you can do.

Most people don't have good luck with the glue-on nail covers with cats. And since your cat hates having his paws handled, that won't go well. Easier just to have his nails trimmed.

The way I handle it is I simply never have a couch that is so important to me. The animals are much more important than the couch. Mind you, I cover the couch with a very nice throw cover so I can wash it easily, but other than that I am just mellow about it. I kind of have the attitude that people with cats or dogs or both shouldn't try to have fancy expensive couches.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Good for you, T, for adopting your cat! It's nice to have furniture we like, but when we adopt a cat, they become a member of our family, and we do have to compromise to make sure everybody is happy. It's great that he's not intentionally ripping your couch to shreds, as some cats do, and it's just his normal activity, but I do understand your dilemma.

I'm not a fan of nail tips. If he doesn't like his nails trimmed, it's doubtful he'd tolerate those either. You could try to desensitize him, but it's a lot of work either way, because the tips have to be replaced about as often as being trimmed. And if he doesn't like them and chews them off, they can be a choking hazard.

My feeling is, it's just as important to make our homes both people and cat friendly, so when we buy something new, we keep everybody in mind. And they do sell some very pretty throw-blankets to cover the things we like, even though they can be a pain in the patootie!

·
Super Moderator
27,227 Posts
Someone told me a long time ago that microfiber furniture is the best for pets. Everything cleans up great (hairballs, hairball soup, wine, etc.). It's probably what your hubby doesn't want - "soft" fabric, but it's great for pets (and children). I have never seen the attraction of leather furniture - cold in the winter, hot and sticky to sit on in the summer. When you get whatever new furniture you decide on, I would recommend putting cardboard scratchers on both ends of the furniture.

Brown Furniture Rectangle Comfort Couch

Brown Couch Comfort Rectangle studio couch

·
Registered
739 Posts
I like microfiber too, Marie, and I hate to have to say this, but the ONE chair that my darling Sophie loves to scratch (even though we have multiple cat-scratchers all over the house) is the one made of microfiber, which is now covered in a lovely yet annoying throw-blanket! 😼

·
Registered
981 Posts
Microfiber is great, I agree. Some kinds, like the ones that feel like suede, cats can pull out the threads just by walking on them with long nails, so it's good to be careful with selection.

I think a good throw or couch cover is the way to go, and on top of a couch that doesn't cost a fortune. Leather is just not ever practical if you have cat(s).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I hear everyone on choosing cat-friendly materials. Our prior couches were dog/kid friendly. Now kids are grown & hubby wants what hubby wants. :unsure:

Faux leather (not real leather) is what he likes so I'm trying to make it work :confused:. I'm thinking we can have a throw just over that one arm that she uses to launch onto her cat tree. Also just ordered another cat scratching post for behind the loveseat (a place she used to stretch up on).

We just picked up the loveseat yesterday. The sofa is on backorder. We're working on keeping her off the loveseat (unless she is on our laps while we sit there). We'll see how she does. We have managed to keep her off the dining table and counters (which she used to go on when we first got her). Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Give her more of her own furniture. Cats that get sprayed and told no and tossed off of furniture and high places they like all the time just wind up unhappy, stressed cats. Why have a cat then? My cat gets on the counter, on top of the hutch (I put a little desk for him to jump onto to get there), on the dining room table (there is a nice thick cover for it, since it is mahogany), on the couches, chairs, and their cat trees. I cover all furniture with nice quilts or fleece, and train them to stay only on the island counter, not where we cook. And they have a big thick fake fur dog bed from Costco. I pick my battles with my animals. When company comes, the covers come off and it looks great. Otherwise, I don't worry. Love my kitties, dogs, and birds.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Yeah, I hear everyone on choosing cat-friendly materials. Our prior couches were dog/kid friendly. Now kids are grown & hubby wants what hubby wants. :unsure:

Faux leather (not real leather) is what he likes so I'm trying to make it work :confused:. I'm thinking we can have a throw just over that one arm that she uses to launch onto her cat tree. Also just ordered another cat scratching post for behind the loveseat (a place she used to stretch up on).

We just picked up the loveseat yesterday. The sofa is on backorder. We're working on keeping her off the loveseat (unless she is on our laps while we sit there). We'll see how she does. We have managed to keep her off the dining table and counters (which she used to go on when we first got her). Fingers crossed.
Just so you know... every cat on the planet, as well-trained as we think they are, will dance on everything we own 10 seconds after we go to bed. :devilish:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Give her a 100mg Gabapentin capsule 2 hours before cutting her nails. It will induce mild sedation and reduce resistance. You can try an electric nail grinder as well.

Replacement heads:

Avoid Pedipaws.

Try velvet for upholstery. Keep plenty of scratch posts around. Ideally, have a few cat trees/shelves with scratching material around the sofas and windows. They will prefer them to the sofas.

Cat Wood Mammal Rectangle Table

·
Registered
981 Posts
I disagree about the Gabapentin.
First, this is only available by prescription. Second, 100mg is a very large dose for a cat and could do some harm.
third, this can only be done with the vet's approval and it seems like a drastic thing to do -- drugging a cat for hours --just in order to trim the nails which doesn't take more than 5 minutes.

Working up slowly to getting the cat to allow it is a much better way to approach it in my opinion.

·
Registered
22 Posts

I can cite other studies too that reach the same conclusion. It is perfectly safe for healthy cats. Do not give it to cats with kidney disease. All 4 of my cats use it. It is quite safe.

·
Super Moderator
27,227 Posts
I gave my girls Gabapentin when I moved to another state, so they would be calm during the ride. 100mg made them non-responsive for 12 hours. They were awake, but that's about it. 100mg just to trim nails? Overkill. Even in the study you cited, it was used for transporting cats and for examination purposes. To me, that's still too large of a dose for a short time.

Sedation was a common effect of gabapentin administration, and ataxia, hypersalivation, and vomiting were also reported.

• Love
Reactions: Mosi

·
Super Moderator
27,227 Posts
That would be so irresponsible, I can't even imagine a vet prescribing that for a nail trim. There are mobile vets, and Petco and Petsmart will do it for a very reasonable price. Even her own vet could recommend a groomer, some even have groomers on-site. My girls do not like it, but will behave for a perfect stranger. I think there's something about having an unknown person do it. My groomer could trim the nails of all four girls in about two minutes. Drove me crazy! But then again, I've trimmed the nails of my Mom's cat and my best friend's cat.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Why would it be irresponsible? Most studies recommend them for stressful events. It is a safe drug that can be used to accustom the cat to trimming - in the absence of stress. I am not suggesting that the drug has to be used indefinitely.

Would these groomers do it without restraining them and subjecting them to considerable stress?

·
Super Moderator
27,227 Posts
Giving a cat 100mg, which will last for hours, just for a nail trim, doesn't make sense. And as I said, many times having a stranger trim nails is easier than the owner.

We could go back and forth on this forever. Let's give this thread back to the OP and furniture questions.

• Love
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.