Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I protect Charlie from out Xmas tree? He has no interest in the tinsel, lights, cords, etc. He likes the ornaments. Namely the ones with string. He will actually chew them off the string while they are still hanging on the tree! I just went through and found 4 strings on the tree and a handful of ornaments on the ground. DH said he threw up some string this morning. He even climbs up to reach the higher up ornaments.
Do I need to replace all the string ornaments with something else? Any with hooks he will just knock to the floor (as if in disgust "where's the string?!" :cussing)

I don't want him to get sick, but I'm not sure if the hooks are any safer if he's just knocking them to the ground.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Take away the tinsel! NOW.

It is very bad for cats, if he decides he isn't so afraid of it and eats it.... it could kill him.

As for the hooks, replace them with string loops to slip over the branches instead.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But he's eating the string loops! LoL I've got the gold string loops, plastic loops, and some red yarn loops. He's not picky- He is string obsessed. Shoe laces, ties on sweat pants, ribbon on gifts, anything string he must attack and chew.

I'll get the tinsel off. Just not sure what to do about the string? would the hooks be safer at this point since they wouldn't be temptation for him to eat?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Oh sorry, I mis-read your original post.

I think there may be plastic hooks you can use. With the wire hooks, you can wrap the wire around the branch so it can't be pulled off.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
With the wire hooks, you can wrap the wire around the branch so it can't be pulled off.
This is what I did, and my rambunctious 7 & 10 month old kitties have only managed to get one ball ornament off the tree. The hook was still "wrapped" like it had been on the tree, so it didn't fall off while they batted the ornament around the house.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
You could use SSScat to keep him away from the tree, although I don't know if you're able to buy that in Japan. Alternatively, would it be possible to wrap the loop/string a few times around the branch so that the ornament is flush against the branch and not hanging loosely, and if so, might that deter him?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts