Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just need to brag a bit about my Fred. He has always liked his crate, but now has learned a new trick. If we have to go somewhere I will put his crate in the living room, and call him. He comes when I call, and will stand outside the crate until I say "please get in", steps in and lays down just as easy as pie while I zip it up!

I was able to show off his brilliance to my unbelieving family this past holiday. I have never had a cat do this in my life, usually I have to leave the crate out for a few days so they get used to it enough that they aren't hiding to avoid going somewhere.

I think I should teach him more tricks!

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
Fred is amazing. Can he come over to my house to talk to my cats?

·
Registered
255 Posts
I sure wish Autumn was like that. I have had to cancel many vet appointments cuz I couldn't get her into the carrier and I do leave it out for days before the appt.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My Bat is a very smart cat, sharp as a tack, but he's very spirited. XD Can't get him to listen to me at all. That's really awesome that he listens though!

·
Registered
469 Posts
That's fantastic! Ours have been known to sleep in the carriers, but when you actually need them to go in they refuse lol. Even with lots of treats :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone! I wonder if the difference is that I use a soft carry crate. He likes to just sleep in it as a bed on some days. We always used hard crates with the other cats and I wonder if they are more "scary".

Still it is fun to show him off. He is VERY smart which is great a lot of the time, but he is also very strong willed and challenging too. He is like my feline "border collie" - needs training and a job to do.

·
Registered
261 Posts
My kyra and tucker both love their crates. It might be because I treat it like crate training a dog. It is their safe zones and the two crates are always out. With kyra she goes in on command too, though not as politely as your kitty. :)

·
Registered
388 Posts
That's great that he's so willing to learn! :) I don't take Milky out in a carrier unless we're going out for the day or going to the vet. If we're just taking him out for a little while, we usually have him on a leash and he's been really good since we first started putting him on it.

I taught Milky a few tricks too. He's been with us for 3 and a half months now and he knows sit, stand, lie down, stay, hand and kiss. I was trying to teach him roll over last week but he was a bit impatient so may give it another go some other time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts