Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just have to share these because I just SO proud of my son, Christopher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_MXYmbv9yU&list=UUGoL2RJpzKzeCvyBmJFVY9A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogAz3ocV1DE&index=1&list=UUGoL2RJpzKzeCvyBmJFVY9A

These are compositions that he made up on his own, with no lessons at all...and he doesn't really know how to read music. Being in the drumline of the high school marching band doesn't really give you the opportunity to really read notes. Somehow, someway we're getting him formal lessons. If he's this good without formal lessons, he's going to be downright amazing with lessons.

·
Registered
0 Posts
He is amazing, especially considering he makes these up on his own and can't read music! My dad plays by ear....your son plays by ear AND can create melodies of his own! You should be proud! I wish him all the best of luck and hope he gets to show off someday (maybe with formal lessons!)

·
Premium Member
7,095 Posts
WOW! He IS really amazing. I played classical piano for 10 years (with lessons), and while I played decently from a technical standpoint, I just never had the kind of emotional connection that you need in order to be a real musician. Your son feels the music in a way that not everyone can. And I really like the actual music; it's both beautiful in a classical sense and catchy, with a beat that you can get into!

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:smiles:heart:heart:heart:luv:luv:jump:jump:jump

Thank you! My parents gave him a keyboard last Christmas, but it only has 76 keys instead of the usual 88. Chris loves it, but it does limit him. The song that I posted was played on a full 88 key piano. He can play it on the piano at school, but not at home. :-( He told that for this Christmas, he wants a full sized keyboard. Hopefully Santa will oblige him.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Beautiful, simply beautiful! I think it's awesome that he plays by ear, it's something that can't be taught, you either have it, or you don't. And he has it. Be proud momma!

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all! Even the director of the marching band is taking (more) notice. He's been giving Chris pieces of piano music for him to try out at home. And a friend of mine suggested that I talk to the head of the music department here at Mt. SAC to see if he can be mentored. I haven't had the chance to do so yet, but once everything settles down, I'm definitely looking into that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts