Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have a male with cystitis that seems to be largely neuropathic - ie. caused by stress. Amitryptaline, diet change and extensive behaviour work (I work in welfare and behaviour) has kept him non-symptomatic and relatively stress free for 1.5 years (YAY!).

He even survived a move to a huge house from an apartment - or so we thought...3 months in and he has reverted to his old self and now has also begun spraying, heavily (likely in response to cats outside that we haven't spotted yet).

After all types of work with him (and 2 bottles of Natures Miracle a week!) the decision was made to switch him to Prozac - now on week 2.5. The first couple of weeks saw CRAZY activity levels and aggressive interactions. Now he's just sitting around a lot, not interacting but is agitated.

Now all of that background to ask, can someone share with me the "normal" affects I can expect until he's completed adjusted after 4-6 weeks? Vet is not useful as he uses Prozac mostly on birds. He did say the high activity levels were also seen in birds.

Dose is 2.5mg, no gradual increase.

Also, I was expecting a pill but pharmacy says only available in liquid. My kitty would much prefer pill. Has anyone had this dosage in a pill?

Thanks!

Jacqueline and Oscar

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Super Moderator
26,664 Posts
When Gigi was on Prozac (pill form) for aggression, she didn't purr, wasn't affectionate, and still attacked my other girls. It basically took away her loving personality towards me, yet did nothing for her aggression issues. But I know it's worked for many other people for lots of issues.

I had pills that I had to divide into quarters.

·
Registered
25 Posts
To be honest I had no idea Prozac could also be used in animals, but I guess it's because my country might be a bit far behind when it comes to veterinary medicine.

So I have no idea about the effects of Prozac on cats, but I do know the side effects from personal experience. I guess they could be a bit similar? I went trough a lot of agitation and restlessness during the first weeks. Also had trouble sleeping and lack of apetite (they switched me to Sertraline because of this).

Hope this helps a bit!

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
since amitryptiline is an old tricyclic and prozac is a newer SSRI, you might be able to mix it up with your cat like people do. they honestly can't tell you which one is going to work, so the best you could do is stay away from any known to be harmful to cats, but the problem there is that i doubt if there have been lots of animal studies with human meds. cats, anyway. do your research and try some others until you get the results you want.

there's a veterinary pharmacy here that compounds drugs into different forms, depending on what you want, so i'd look for one of those by you as well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In case someone googles this topic I wanted to give an update:

Oscar is now been on Prozac for about 3 weeks. Side effects are pretty much gone though his appetite has decreased (yay, no more scavenging and howling!) and he is a little less interactive - though the level of interaction is probably due to his decrease in appetite; also because he hates the liquid prozac and has developed somewhat of an aversion to us for now.

Now for the key result: he appears to have stopped spraying. Yesterday he looked like he was going to but we distracted him and he didn't.

So far so good!

Jacqueline and Oscar

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

1 - 5 of 5 Posts