Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I imagine most of the users here are from the US so I'd like your opinion on this.

Back in my uni days I went out with an American girl who shared my love of cats. We still talk from time to time and she says I'm the only guy who's ever been crazy about cats, all her American bfs are either indifferent or only like dogs.

According to her, there exists a somewhat less favorable opinion of men who love and keep cats in the US. They aren't seen as masculine as guys with dogs.

Personally I've never been to the US, so I can't comment, but I have noticed that on several different websites that I frequent, this does seem to be the case with younger guys.

But I'm interested in what our fellow feline-enthusiasts from the US have to say about this. Would you say most younger men (18-35) consider cats to be a 'feminine' pet and would make fun of guys like me who carry over 100 pics of my cats on my phone?

In the UK this is hardly ever the case. Most of my friends infact either have cats as the family pet or love them and plan on adopting one or a pair if their landlords allow it.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Boy, I really hope BIGMANNYC sees this. He's about as far as what your perception of an American male is like when it comes to cats. In fact, maybe you should PM him and get him to post here.

·
Registered
215 Posts
My idea. Be it male or female, If you are more of a controlling type a dog is for you. If you are more of a 50/50% sharing type, then more of a cat person. This is a huge generalization. I like both.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm a young male Texan (27) who owns one cat and no dogs, and yes, I carry tons of pictures on my phone. I'm a masculine, beer drinking, fast car driving/racing dude, and no one has ever thought twice about me owning a cat. In fact, most women think it's really sweet how connected my cat and I are (check out my post history for a picture of him laying his head on my mouse hand like a pillow while I use the computer). I'm confident and a pretty big guy, so no other guys give me any trouble about owning a cat.

I can't speak to the general perception of men who own cats in the U.S., but if you're a confident individual then people's perception of you individually isn't going to change because you own a cat. Loving animals (any and all animals) is one of the most manly things you can do IMO.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
I think you're probably making a general valid point C-D. But you'll not get anyone on here admitting it. Of course there are exceptions (like the fact not everyone from the UK is like me...) but on the whole, I think you're probably right.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To be fair, the other websites/forums I've encountered this notion from younger men that cats are for women are almost exclusively sports-based, so perhaps it's due to miss-placed macho non-sense.

Saydee nailed as far as I'm concerned: "Loving animals (any and all animals) is one of the most manly things you can do IMO"

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Well yes... and if you go to car websites, you're unlikely to find men who prefer pressing flowers to polishing their exhaust pipes. So to speak.

I kinda understand why some men don't like cats. Mainly because SOME women who obsess over cats are best avoided (like that teacher in the harry potter books).

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But obsessing over your cats is SO MUCH FUN!!! :-D

I can't help but feel a little bit offended when someone bad-talks cats. I'm very defensive of the species and HATE it when people say things like "cats aren't capable of loving people", to the point that ignorance of that magnitude is seriously enough to put off that person entirely.

It's also very unfair how people, whether men or women, can obsess over dogs and no one thinks it wrong weird of them, but do or react the same way about your cat and people look at you as if you said you have a pet hammer or screwdriver.

Anyway, it's nice to see that the IMPORTANT sex is appreciative of a man who knows how to love and adore the feline gods that enrichen our lives :-D

·
Registered
804 Posts
I think young men probably tease other young men for liking cats, but as mentioned before, I think it's a good quality, and I think most other females here would feel the same way. I hate to be harsh but I would not have married my husband if he didn't like cats! hahaha

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hate to be harsh but I would not have married my husband if he didn't like cats! hahaha
Call me crazy but I don' think that's harsh at all.

I could never see myself with someone long-term if they didn't love cats. Not just like or tolerate, but LOVE cats like I do.

I think loving another creature like we love our cats and dogs speaks volumes about a person, how much they can emotionally connect with others and care for them.

The people I've met who don't like animals usually turn out to be rather cold and distant. Not my cup of tea.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I've been fortunate to meet some guys who prefer cats over dogs. However, most of my male friends tend to favor dogs....which is why they are just friends. ;)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It amazes me that some people who have dogs can have such a negative view of cats. It trully baffles me. I mean I've never had a dog, but I love them. I always take my neighbours dogs out for walks and offer to feed and walk them them if they are away for the day and can't take them with them.

I seriously don't understand how someone can love dogs and not even like cats. It's beyond me.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Not in the US or UK, but many men I know across all ages have or had cats

Just as some men have small fluffy dogs

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
804 Posts
I don't get why dog people don't like cats either. They're both wonderful, loving types of animals. I had a dog, and I loved her and miss her, and I'll probably get another someday, but if I had to choose, I personally prefer cats (and I have 4 now... haha) Good thing hubs likes them; the poor guy goes off to SK and I get two more cats :-D ). I think he prefers dogs but like I said, he likes cats too.

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
One factor is that you can take a big dog around in public and look macho - even if you aren't....Dogs put up with that kind of nonsense, they are way more companionable and domesticated!

Impossible to look macho with a fierce cat - even a bobcat would be too much, let alone something like a lynx or tiger, it is actually a hilarious thought :D! They would be the boss one hundred percent! Even your most petite domestic shorthair will not play along with the game. I think the stereotype that dogs are for 'real men' is a form of sour grapes, or an inability to concede that cats don't suffer fools gladly...

:) Fran

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
One factor is that you can take a big dog around in public and look macho - even if you aren't....Dogs put up with that kind of nonsense, they are way more companionable and domesticated!

Impossible to look macho with a fierce cat - even a bobcat would be too much, let alone something like a lynx or tiger, it is actually a hilarious thought :D! They would be the boss one hundred percent! Even your most petite domestic shorthair will not play along with the game. I think the stereotype that dogs are for 'real men' is a form of sour grapes, or an inability to concede that cats don't suffer fools gladly...

:) Fran
I definitely think the 'macho' factor plays a big part, and anyone who needs a dog to feel manly probably couldn't handle the equal relationship a cat demands of its humans.

I've said it to many people that dogs have been breed to be obedient and with the desire to always please their owners, but cats haven't, so people who get an animal to increase their own self-esteem or public perception/persona would prefer a more subservient species.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I definitely think the 'macho' factor plays a big part, and anyone who needs a dog to feel manly probably couldn't handle the equal relationship a cat demands of its humans.

I've said it to many people that dogs have been breed to be obedient and with the desire to always please their owners, but cats haven't, so people who get an animal to increase their own self-esteem or public perception/persona would prefer a more subservient species.
Agreed. It is a fact that SOME men wouldn't do anything to ruin their macho image.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts