Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for those of you that know me, know that I am trying to feed my cats more wet food and regulate them more closely because they are little fatty's. This morning I gave each of my 4 cats half a can of 5.5 oz shredded Friskies. Mind you this is NOT the first time any of them have had canned food... I always try to keep some on hand and feed some every couple of days. Now I am trying to incorporate more wet and regulate less dry.... Leivie puked this morning after eating... WTF? Im thinking maybe he ate to fast or something, but does anyone know if there are any medical issues associated with puking after eating? He doesnt puke, ever, on dry food. :/

Also, I know this is a cat forum but I have a Chihuahua that I recently found. She is not microchipped and I posted on some FB groups that I found her but no luck on an owner so Im keeping her. I THINK she is about 4 months old and weighs 2.6 lbs. Is wet food better than dry for dogs too? Everything I read leans more towards wet but isnt as biased as with cats.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Was the food cold? Eating too fast can be a problem too, that was most likely the issue.

About the Chihuahua, have you contacted the local shelter to see if anyone has phoned with a dog matching that description? That would be the main thing to do, as that's where people phone first when they've lost a pet. Yes, wet is better for dogs too... larger dogs pretty much are relegated to dry, but with a little Chihuahua I'm sure you can make wet food work.

74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was the food cold? Eating too fast can be a problem too, that was most likely the issue.

About the Chihuahua, have you contacted the local shelter to see if anyone has phoned with a dog matching that description? That would be the main thing to do, as that's where people phone first when they've lost a pet. Yes, wet is better for dogs too... larger dogs pretty much are relegated to dry, but with a little Chihuahua I'm sure you can make wet food work.

Food was room temperature... Yes I have called animal control and the humane society... I would post pictures but this is a 250+ dollar dog and then anyone could say she was theres... So they have to send a picture of her to prove she is theres cuz I posted that I found a Chihuahua on some FB groups. I have had her a couple weeks now and the only people that show interest are the ones that want her if no home is found.... Well of course they do, but she is my tumor now ha ha. I know there are a lot of people around here that own 14 freaking dogs and she is small enough to fit through a chain link fence and they may or may not have noticed with so many dogs and there is a fair share of backyard breeders around here too and she is not spayed so Im not relinquishing her so easily.

I am thinking of putting her on wet food as well so that way I can have her on the cats schedule since the cats will eat dry dog kibble that is left out haha

74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If she just vomited once I wouldn't worry. It happens. If it keeps happening, she needs to see a vet. But more than likely it's nothing.

Dogs are very different from cats--unlike cats, dogs have a good thirst drive. Grain-free dry food is fine, but it's important to understand that cheap dry foods are VERY bad. I.e.: cheap canned food is at least mostly meat. Cheap dry food is not. This is a tiny dog who will eat, at most, 1/4 cup of dry food twice a day, so even a really good food will not cost a lot. Look for Evo, Wellness, etc. Get a small-medium bag (not a huge one, even though it's slightly less per oz to get a big one) b/c it will take her so long to go through it that it will be stale!
So if Leivie pukes again tomorrow after the canned food should I take him to a vet or do you think it will just take some time for him to adjust and get in the routine of having canned every morning so he stops scarfing his meal??

74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have yet to meet a Chihuahua that could be put on a dry food feeding schedule lol even if I only gave her a little at a time she would still take forever to eat it... She grabs one kibble at a time and runs away with it to chew on it like a treat :/

74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's probably b/c that's what she's used to (free feeding). Once they learn that it disappears if they don't eat it, they DO figure it out. Dogs are even less natural "grazers" than cats are -- why once a day feeding is healthier for dogs (but generally not for toys b/c they can't eat enough in one big meal). Try offering the food for 15 min, then taking it up and not offering any more until 12 hours later. She WILL catch on. ;)
I think she is 4 months should she get more than 2 meals a day?

·
Registered
52 Posts
So if Leivie pukes again tomorrow after the canned food should I take him to a vet or do you think it will just take some time for him to adjust and get in the routine of having canned every morning so he stops scarfing his meal??
if you have the time feed him a little at a time until he gets his serving maybe he is eating it to fast.sometimes it depends on the flaver too.bella cant eat the turkey and cheese boy is she stinkey when she does

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
A full half can of wet food in one sitting may be too much for him. I know my crew can't handle that much at once and bring it back up. You might want to feed 3 meals a day...1/3 can at each meal.

As for the dog...yes they have a higher thirst drive than cats so that's not an issue. Typically a super premium canned food will have a lower carb content than kibble. With a Chi you need to be really careful about weight, so keeping carbs down is important. In addition canned is not as highly processed. It is also significantly more palatable. I find most of my customers with small dogs end up mixing kibble and canned because the little buggers tend to be fussy.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I have never ever heard a dog being on a wet food diet. Most never have canned food in their life. Dogs have a high thirst drive so not necessary. My dog gets it as a treat every so often but that's it... Good quality canned dog food is very expensive.

Most Chihuahuas graze and will not eat all at once. I worked at a shelter and every Chihuahua that came in ate like this. Yes the food was taken away but they never ate it all at once no matter how hungry. Most lost a ton of weight there too.

Any dry food is fine as long as its not grocery store. My dogs on proplan and she is doing great

·
Registered
979 Posts
In regards to the puking...

Try using a fork or spoon to SMUSH the food down onto the plate. This will force the cats to work a bit harder to eat it, slowing them down.

74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, I think I am gonna put all of them on about the same schedule with some canned in the morning and some dry at night... The kitten and puppy I will try to feed an extra 1-2 meals a day since they could both gain some weight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts