Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, Luna just vomitted a red foamy liquid with long white, wriggly worms on it. Yes, she´s going to the vet as soon as my partner gets home as I don´t speak the native language here and don´t have self transportation.

I feel so crap, I should´ve noticed that something was off when she started eating twice as much as she did, but she got dewormed when we got her about 2 months ago, and again 1 month ago. So, I had no idea, really.

She seems fine right now, and is eating again, but I am SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO WORRIED.

Have you ever had this happen? Help me quench my worry.

·
Registered
106 Posts
So, Luna just vomitted a red foamy liquid with long white, wriggly worms on it. Yes, she´s going to the vet as soon as my partner gets home as I don´t speak the native language here and don´t have self transportation.

I feel so crap, I should´ve noticed that something was off when she started eating twice as much as she did, but she got dewormed when we got her about 2 months ago, and again 1 month ago. So, I had no idea, really.

She seems fine right now, and is eating again, but I am SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO WORRIED.

Have you ever had this happen? Help me quench my worry.

Ewwwwwww 8O

Alright, seriously: don't worry too much right now. Yes, get her to the vet ASAP; you might want to bring a sample so the vet can make a definitive ID (although admittedly "want" probably isn't the right word to use there...). They can be gotten rid of, and she'll be OK once they're gone :patback

If you don't mind me asking: what exactly was she dewormed with? Not all wormers are equally effective against all worms. How long ago did you notice the appetite change? Was she dewormed at the vet's, or did you use an OTC product?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ewwwwwww 8O

Alright, seriously: don't worry too much right now. Yes, get her to the vet ASAP; you might want to bring a sample so the vet can make a definitive ID (although admittedly "want" probably isn't the right word to use there...). They can be gotten rid of, and she'll be OK once they're gone :patback

If you don't mind me asking: what exactly was she dewormed with? Not all wormers are equally effective against all worms. How long ago did you notice the appetite change? Was she dewormed at the vet's, or did you use an OTC product?
Yeah, I cleaned the vomit as fast as possible and only thought that I should've saved a sample long after I'd done it... Either way, after having done a few google searches, I'm fairly sure they were roundworms.

She was dewormed with Panacur the first time (at the vet) and Vitaminthe afterwards. I noticed the appetite change a couple weeks ago, but since she is still a kitten (about 8 months old), I figured it was nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
If she was wormed 2 months ago, and then not again till a month later, you are off on your cycles. The initial dose kills the adults, and you need to follow up 14 days later to kill the eggs. All parasites have a cycle from mature who lays the eggs, to the eggs that hatch, eggs to adult, and just repeat the cycle all over again.

Panacur is a very mild wormer, and will cover quite a few different parasites, but I believe Panacur is meant to be used consecutive days in a row to kill, and it's double the dose per their weight. Like with our horses, we use Panacur in spring and fall, 5 days in a row, and then repeat for another 5 days 2 weeks later. My pony weighs approx 300 lbs, so we dose him at 600 lbs worth of panacur.

The first dose you killed the adults, but because there was no follow up dose 2 weeks later, the eggs were not killed, so they hatched, matured, and just kept the cycle going.

You definitely need to let a qualified vet help you out with this.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If she was wormed 2 months ago, and then not again till a month later, you are off on your cycles. The initial dose kills the adults, and you need to follow up 14 days later to kill the eggs. All parasites have a cycle from mature who lays the eggs, to the eggs that hatch, eggs to adult, and just repeat the cycle all over again.

Panacur is a very mild wormer, and will cover quite a few different parasites, but I believe Panacur is meant to be used consecutive days in a row to kill, and it's double the dose per their weight. Like with our horses, we use Panacur in spring and fall, 5 days in a row, and then repeat for another 5 days 2 weeks later. My pony weighs approx 300 lbs, so we dose him at 600 lbs worth of panacur.

The first dose you killed the adults, but because there was no follow up dose 2 weeks later, the eggs were not killed, so they hatched, matured, and just kept the cycle going.

You definitely need to let a qualified vet help you out with this.
As I mentioned before, I have seen a vet, WHO RECOMMENDED THIS COURSE OF ACTION. I asked about it and Luna was given the one dose two months ago at the vet office and I was then told to give her the other 1 month later (I asked which brand of dewormer would be the best and was told it didn't really matter).

I know you probably didn't mean it as an out of line comment, but I really cannot stress enough that it's not like I'm not providing my kittens with proper medical care!

Or should be I suspicious of the vets?

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
More than likely a Roundworm, a cat infested with them will vomit them as well as pass them. Does she have access to outdoors, and has she been eating mice? This is common to get Roundworms if she's eating mice as most are infected, or she could have got them from her mother from nursing. Go back to the vet to get more medication to get rid of them; sometimes several doses are needed.
http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/parasites/a/CW-FelineRoundworms.htm

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
As I mentioned before, I have seen a vet, WHO RECOMMENDED THIS COURSE OF ACTION. I asked about it and Luna was given the one dose two months ago at the vet office and I was then told to give her the other 1 month later (I asked which brand of dewormer would be the best and was told it didn't really matter).

I know you probably didn't mean it as an out of line comment, but I really cannot stress enough that it's not like I'm not providing my kittens with proper medical care!

Or should be I suspicious of the vets?
Wow! Bold, AND all caps! Listen, I was just trying to help out, and sharing a bit of info. You asked for help. No where in there did I accuse you of anything, nor was it intended. I was trying to help, and did not deserve the tongue lashing you gave.

If a vet recommended that dose to you, then he/she is not very qualified, therefore I stand behind my statement, you definitely need to let a qualified vet help you out with this.

Best of luck to you, and your kitten. :wink:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow! Bold, AND all caps! Listen, I was just trying to help out, and sharing a bit of info. You asked for help. No where in there did I accuse you of anything, nor was it intended. I was trying to help, and did not deserve the tongue lashing you gave.

If a vet recommended that dose to you, then he/she is not very qualified, therefore I stand behind my statement, you definitely need to let a qualified vet help you out with this.

Best of luck to you, and your kitten. :wink:
Sorry that you read it that way since I didn't mean it. I use both bold and caps to accentuate what I'm trying to say, not to scream at others through the internet.

That said, the vet (and the clinic she works at) is indeed qualified, I've taken my kittens there before (for both past ailments and neutering surgery) and never had a problem, which is why I'm a tad weirded that there is something so bad going on now.

Either way, we've taken her there. Is scheduled to be dewormed within a couple days, but the vet didn't seem to think it was anything terrible going on with her.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts