Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Pumpkin won't stop scratching the corners of our mattress. She does this to wake me up in the morning to feed her. She just started recently, not sure why. Think she saw Shadow do it once and now she's all over it in the morning. My main question is: Does furniture tape dull the noise claws make? I don't really care about saving the mattress because it's so old, but the noise is driving me nuts! My other solution was getting a chest/bench for the end of our bed. I can't squirt her with water because as soon as she hears me move at all she runs toward the spare bathroom where we keep their food and by then it's too late!

CATBRB

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Here in the Middle East we use the "Direct Approach" - we just yell "Stopitttt!" once. Then my cats never do the annoying thing again. Prince used to wake me up by patting my nose, gradually used his nails too, more and more. One day I yelled at him "without claws, darnit!" and since then he's been extremely careful to pat my nose veeeery gently and without claws. When I first got him, he'd wake me up by attacking my legs under the duvet. I used the same approach once, and he never did it again - ever. Some of my garden cats used to swat at my hand as I put down their bowls, too eager for the food to wait the split second for me to withdraw my hand from the bowl. I'd point a harsh finger at them and say "NO!" in a brusque manner, now none of them do it anymore. I'd never use water to spray them, I don't like the approach at all. Yelling hurts them morally, spraying them hurts them both morally and physically (most cats feel very bad if even moist).

·
Registered
171 Posts
I use a can of compressed air when I'm on the other side of the room. Sammy likes to get up on the counter from time to time and will often jump down before I get over there but the canned air hissing sound works from across the room. Maybe keep a can of it next to you on the nightstand and use it when she starts scratching as the hiss sound is a 'no no' in a language that's more familiar. Or you could just hiss at her yourself, I think I've seen people on the forum saying that they use that method as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts