Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pro Plan Selects Classic Natural Adult Canned Cat Food at PETCO

I was a bit surprised to see the ingredients on these cans, there are no 'meal's or by-products, no corn, in gluten or meal form. Yes there is fish and rice, but if you are a person okay with those two items, this looks like a feasible food to recommend...

Thoughts??

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
It looks ok. Certainly not the worst I've seen, but I prefer to see less ...ingredients... in a list than it has.

For me it wouldn't be economical. I'd have to feed 3(at least) of those little cans a day and that would wind up costing a decent amount more than what he's eating now and i feel is a better food.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, I wasn't going for economical, I was just surprised at the quality of the ingredients. Like I said, I wouldn't feed it because of all the fish, but at least I wouldn't feel bad saying 'Yea, that's an alright food' to someone.
*shrug*

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
The Pro Plan Selects are not cheap, especially since I've never seen it in anything bigger than a 3 oz can. But the ingredients are decent, considering it's Purina. I have tried these on my cats in the past, and Samantha especially loves them and thinks of them as a special treat. The Turkey and Brown Rice one is a huge hit.

·
Registered
514 Posts
The menadione sodium bisulfite complex is a controversial source of synthetic vitamin K.
I'll be honest...I don't know much about it, but read that on Petsumer Report.

·
Premium Member
18,379 Posts
There's more to being a good food than just an ingredient list. It's also about where the ingredients are sourced from and where it's manufactured. It's also about whether those ingredients were human food rejects.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But then they would have to be labeled as such.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What is wrong with Fish and rice?
Fish is addictive, a common allergen, and is usually full of hard metals.
Rice is a grain, and cats are carnivores, so it is said that grains should not be a part of their diet.
Oh? What are the labels required to say?
By-products/meal or something of the like?

·
Premium Member
18,379 Posts
By-products/meal or something of the like?
That answer makes no sense. How does that address the issue of whether they use mold infested ingredients, manufacture in a 3rd world country, buy chicken from China, or use 4D animals?

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That answer makes no sense. How does that address the issue of whether they use mold infested ingredients, manufacture in a 3rd world country, buy chicken from China, or use 4D animals?
Because I'm pretty sure if they are any of those things, they have to be put down as by-products.
How are you supposed to know if any other company does that if they don't have to put it down?

·
Premium Member
18,379 Posts
Well.....I'm absolutely sure that you're wrong.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Some sort of links or something would be nice then..??

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, because if it's on the internet then it *MUST* be true.
I... never said that.
And if we are going by that, then 'doodlebug MUST be true' as well. =/

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I find doodlebug quite knowledgeable and so far she hasn't said anything I disagree with......
Okay, but I'm not you. I like to have facts behind the things I believe in. I don't just blindly follow.

I'm also not saying she's not; just again... I like facts.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
/shrug

The posts of "what do you think of this food" followed by 5 pages of arguments because you don't agree with the answers is exhausting.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.