Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I wonder if you can help. A friend of mine has a cat and without going into too much detail I don't think it's a very happy cat, but my friend always says "well she wouldn't purr if she wasn't happy".

Do you think a cat would still purr if it was unhappy? I wonder if she is purring for attention? You know saying "love me!". Maybe I'm over-reacting........but I am obsessing about it a bit at the moment......

Thanks
Kerry

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I've heard that cats purr when in pain and/or very sick, but never actually experienced it until my Smokey. On his last day on Earth he was purring like crazy...until he went into cardiac arrest. :-(

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
God now I'm in a right panic, she could be purring because she's happy (like normal!) or could be about to die!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
712 Posts
She may be purring to reassure herself? Evie did that when we first brought her home. No-one knows why, but cats use a purr as a means to reassure themselves, as if to say "you're okay, you'll be fine". Which is similar to why they may purr in pain- they are trying to reassure themselves. Is this cat new? Or she may be shy or worried?

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
....without going into too much detail I don't think it's a very happy cat....
God now I'm in a right panic, she could be purring because she's happy (like normal!) or could be about to die!!!!!!!!!!!!
There's a long way between being unhappy and about to die.

What makes you think this cat is in danger of dying? Does the cat have food/water/medical atttention?? If so it seems unlikely it's teetering on the brink of death.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think she's about to die at all - just was put into a panic...............

She's 11 years old and has been with my friend since she was a kitten.

·
Registered
117 Posts
hard to guess at without at least a bit of detail...

·
Registered
28 Posts
As others have said in the thread, cats will purr for a variety of reasons. Many people hear a cat purring and think that it means they are happy. One of my cats purrs his head off when he goes to the vet because he's nervous and scared. You can tell a lot about whether the cat is happy purring or purring for other reasons from the body language of the cat when it's purring, and what it's doing while purring. If the cat is prancing back and forth sticking it's butt up in the air for pets, it's likely a happy kitty trying to get some attention and pets. If it's huddled somewhere purring by itself and not looking too comfortable, it could be in pain, sick, or scared and trying to reassure and calm itself down.

What makes you think that the cat isn't very happy? More detail is really needed about the situation to be able to form an opinion as to whether the cat is in need of some help or not.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry for the delayed reaction on this. Well my friends cat has been taken to the vet (for something else) and she is perfectly healthy - just has a grumpy face.

My friend recently had a baby and isn't spending as much time with her cat as before - obviously. But she is making more effort now.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Today Prince was purring while he was watching the birds outside the window, because he couldn't decide if he was in a hunting or in a being petted mood. He mixed both, it was hilarious.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts