Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I’m wondering why the cats are fighting/hissing each other when they first meet, is it because they don’t have the same scent or not used to each other’ scent? I just read it here on the other post about putting vanilla on the cats’ neck to make them smell the same and I would like to ask: if I put vanilla to both resident cats and the new cat before I introduce them to each other, will it helps to save them from the hissing scene? :evil: :twisted:
Sorry if this sounds like a silly question :oops:

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
When introducing cats that are new to each other, it can help...certainly won't hurt. But it's not going to work miracles. It's just one of many things to do during the introduction process.

It helps more when it's 2 cats who know each other and have just picked up some weird scents e.g. from a vet visit.

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Yes, it helps, but it's only one part of an introduction. It's important that the introduction is gradual, the cats separated in different rooms at first, exchanging bedding, then exchanging rooms, then, if possible, interactive toys shared while separated only by a playpen or carrier. Observe this last step carefully. If they hiss, go back a step. If it goes well, try a supervised face to face visit. Don't rush things. :) The whole procedure should take 10 days to 2 weeks. I hope all goes well!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts