Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a "pet" situation that has developed, which I can't wrap my head around the outcome. When I think about it I chuckle. Ok, I'm currently staying with my brother and his girlfriend until I'm able to financially get up on my feet(I'm almost there, I'm just walking). I have stray that I rescue almost four years ago. I cook for my feline snuggle bunny from day one. When I moved in with my brother, I explained to the both of them that I cook her meals and that I don't buy food at the pet store after my previous baby got caught in the 2007 nationwide pet food recall(it killed her). I've explained this thoroughly on the reason for me cooking. I just discovered a few days ago, my brother's girlfriend was sneaking her dry cat treats(stuff from the stores). She's jealous because my cat PW loves and adores me(and I her). Now, my cat is very skittish and doesn't trust anyone but me, she's extremely clingy, demanding, etc. If PW wants to come over to you she will, you can't make a cat like you. Do you know this chick has a full blown attitude because I told her to not feed her that. She puts the door up(its off the hinges) to her room to keep my cat out and she gives me this condescending attitude(you know the fake smile), which is very noticeable. I told her, if she likes she would have to get "natural organic" treats(have to meet my approval). You know she said, "oh, no thank you, I prefer not to give her anything. She's your cat", all under the same of breadth of condescending tone. I noticed she didn't apologize! Of course my brother tries to defend her by saying, she really, really loves animals. My response was, I love animals too, but I don't overstep a pet parents meal plan for their baby. My brother knows this, I use to ask him can I give his two dogs a piece of meat. I'll ask in a heartbeat and comply to either a yes or a no. I don't overstep. She overstep big time and have the audacity to be mad at me because I ask her not to feed her this stuff. I don't want PW to go through what my previous baby went through with kidney failure. She knew full well that she shouldn't be giving her that, but she did it to make me think that my cat who I rescued 4 years ago love her more than me. This isn't a competition here, I rule, I'm the mom. How do you think because you love animals you're going to override my rule? Is she nuts? I'm not a fan of hers before all of this. How do I handle this situation? I usually do my normal behavior, which is the silent treatment(no acknowledgment, no eye contact, etc.). Or do I give her a condescending smile back? I can't wait to move! Any advice would be great. I'm looking to put PW in daycare while I'm at work.

PW's Mom

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
A possible solution is to keep PW in your own room, with the door locked when you're not in there. Get a lock if it doesn't have one that needs a key to open. That way, your brother's girlfriend would not have any access to the cat. Let the cat out only when you can supervise 100%. Some unreasonable people are just jerks! that don't respect your wishes or concerns for your own cat. Unless you can afford it and your cat enjoys "new" changes, I wouldn't put PW in day care. That can be pretty disruptive, and most cats don't like that. All the best!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts