Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although it makes it simple for us to rule out virtually all of the cat food available at grocery stores, Walmart and such, I'm curious as to why the quality food manufacturers haven't accessed this marketing resource. Iams is suppose to be a good quality food, and is available in such markets, but that's apparently only marketing hype. If you compare the ingredients you find that they too make their food from by-products and such. It seems the only place to purchase good cat food is at vets, pet stores, feed stores or online.

It's just puzzling to me. Does anyone have some inside reasoning on such a marketing decision?

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
It's my understanding that Iams used to be a good food, but not now. The company that makes Iams also uses animals for research. They claim they have changed their methods recently. I assume the reason we find lower grades of cat food in grocery stores is because their companies produce food and products for human beings, not animals. Also, they have millions of dollars to spend on advertising. The better brands cost more, and few animal owners are familiar with their names. They don't advertise as much.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I have a theory about it - at my "other" job, I market a line of racing valve springs. We encourage our dealers to adopt minimum pricing levels, so no dealers feel they are getting squeezed out of the marketplace by another. Maybe the better food manufacturers are smaller companies that understand the term "customer/supplier loyalty". Sometimes, when retail companies grow, they tend to forget who brought them to the dance and they want to dictate to the suppliers. I get a kick out of it when my customers "tell" me how to handle discount structures and billing schedules.

Jeanie said:
The better brands cost more, and few animal owners are familiar with their names.
And I think that even this can be a misconception. I just switched Angel from IAMS ($1.7975/lb. at PetSmart) to Chicken Soup ($0.9999/lb. at a local feed store). I think we, as consumers, sometimes develop perceptions about pricing and availabilitiy and we can often be wrong. I cringed when I leatned the feed store was the only place to buy the Chicken Soup, yet I saved almost 80 cents a pound! Better food for less money? Twist my arm, force me to buy it!!

Peace,
Mike

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I have encouraged others to buy at Feed stores. I always bought my dog food there when I was raising Collies. Sometimes I had ten little mouths to feed and three big ones. A 6 week old collie pup eats more than a full grown adult cat! You have to save where you can. Now someone does my shopping for me and keeps saying how much I'd save buying at Best Feed, but never does it.

You're absolutely right, Mike! People think Pet Stores when they should be thinking Feed stores! We could save so much on all pet foods and bird seed. Buy birdseed at 75 pounds at one time, not 5 pounds at the supermarket ! The same is true of cat food and dog food.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Hi meowmix,

Check your phone listings for feed dealers. The dealer here that I dealt with sells all kinds of animal feed. And they had several recognized brands of what I would consider to be higher quality kitty food. A much better selection than the local pet store.

Another forum member lives here in the same town and she hadn't considered the feed dealer, either. Had I not overheard a conversation about buying dog food there, I would not have made the connection.

Peace,
Mike

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I'm sure there is one in every area. Farmers buy their feed there for chickens and farm animals. If noone from Canada answers, look in the telephone commercial section for farm supplies, feed stores, etc.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Well, you know what they say about great minds...

So, why do you reckon WE were thinking along the same track??? =_

Peace,
Mike

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'm not at all surprised that the pet food at the average grocery store is of such poor quality, because I don't think the human food carried is any better. More often than not, it takes a little extra effort to find the really good, in all areas of life.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts