Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm very concerned about the quality of the food I've been giving my two ferals. I have been buying 9 Lives both dry and wet because I thought it was OK but on another discussion section on ferals, it was stated that 9 Lives is bad. I'll feed them whatever they need but I must know what is the best food. Also do I just stop the 9 Lives or gradually introduce the new food? I want to do the best for these little guys.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Probably best to gradually introduce. You can do 1/4 of new food mixed with old for a week, then half for a week, then 3/4... The quality depends on your budget. Wet food is better than hard, and typically the better brands will have the first few ingredients listed as a meat product (an actual meat product like "chicken" and not just "meat") with no corn. Brands I can think of off the top of my head that are good are Innova, EVO, Blue Buffalo, Wellness, Taste of the Wild. There are others out there, but a wet diet, or partial wet, is probably the most important thing. I know people who do a quality hard and a cheaper wet, although I'm not sure if that's the best thing to do to save money on food. I use quality dry and wet, and am starting to buy canned online in bulk to save money.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I feed the cats at the dairy I work at all wet food. There are nine cats there so I do end up having to feed some of the cheaper wet food.

Here's what they get:

Friskies Poultry Platter - the first ingrediant is Turkey (much better than most which are meat by-products as the first ingrediant)

Safeway brand, Priority, and I use the 22 ounce cans of the Chicken in Gravy as well as the flavor Turkey and Giblets. The chicken one has chicken as the first ingrediant, and the turkey one has meat by-products as the first ingrediant. I use mostly just the Chicken flavor from there but occasionally still feed the turkey and giblets.

Petsmart brand, Sophistacat, I feed the Chicken Dinner in Gravy. First ingrediant is chicken; I feed the 13 ounce cans of those.

Twice a week they also get a pound of raw chicken giblets amongst them. I really want to switch them to all raw but they need to build up jaw strength first. Even with the cheap brands of wet food I feed it still costs $80 a month to feed them all canned when it would be $60 a month to feed them all raw.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I normally feed my adult cat Purina One indoor advantage formula. it seems to help him maintain his weight well, he has more energy, and has actually become a fairly muscular cat since being switched to this food. Hes 12 pounds of pure strength, when he plays rough with me he can actually knock me around a bit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts