Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I asked our local pet store about feeding raw and they had just brough in a new local supplier of frozen raw food. The cats love it and it's a good price- we're using it as a topper on canned food. I'm just wondering about the quality of it.

Here are the ingredients (it's the chicken flavour):
Chicken (contains chicken meat and chicken bones), chicken giblets (contains chicken heart and chicken liver), carrots, broccoli, sweet potatoes, cabbage, apples, ground flax seeds, whole eggs, honey, apple cider vinegar, alfalfa meal, kelp, grapefruit seed extract

Guaranteed analysis:
Crude protein (min): 15%
Crude fat (min): 7%
Crude fiber (max): 1%
Moisture (max): 74%

The brand is Pets4life and front of box says "AAFCO certified 'complete and balanced'", "100% Canadian meat, fish and poultry".. It also says it's veterinarian approved for ferret diet.

Any analysis of the quality of ingredients and guaranteed analysis?

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I consider only three of those ingredients to be species-appropriate for felines - chicken, chicken giblets, and whole eggs. Even the whole eggs are questionable when considering the likelihood (or lack thereof) that a feline in nature would eat whole eggs, but at least they are a source of animal protein. All the rest of those ingredients are plant-based, and several are high carb, which makes them inappropriate for felines. It's not a diet that I would feed to my cats.

Laurie

·
Super Moderator
18,394 Posts
This food is 11.5% carbs...that's hefty for a raw food.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Definitely too high in carbs...and there's a whole lot of stuff in there that kitty just has no use for, and I agree with Laurie's post above.
Sabrina

1 - 4 of 4 Posts