Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there , my cat had kittens 7 and half weeks ago they r eating solids and using tray and r going to their new homes on saturday , the problem is she just keeps meowing and calling them all the time they r taking no notice and she just keeps meowing its driving us nuts , if they r fast asleep she will go and wake them up then wen they try for a feed she walks off !!! then wen they go off and play she just sits there calling them does any1 have any idea wats wrong with her ?????? she spends most of the day meowing at them im a bit worried now for saturday wen the kittens leave as to wat shes going to do

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Welcome,
Your Mamma-Kitty is just being a very attentive mamma. I *think* she is recognizing that they need to be sort of 'weaned' from her and gain independence, but enclosed in a house, that is difficult to do. I think after the kittens go, she will probably call and look for them for a short bit (few days to a week or so). Just be patient with her and give her lots of love and reassurance. Also, TELL her where her babies have gone. While I do not think cats understand all the words we say, I do believe they understand the meaning behind our words, or at least pick up on things from us, and it helps them to understand. Also, repeating this out loud over and over is good for YOU, because it reminds you why she is behaving this way and that she needs your reassurance, love and patience until she gets over it.
heidi

·
Registered
580 Posts
Although 8 weeks is young--I think we need to be open minded about the age in some cases

I have to start rehoming at 8 weeks, my momma cat is in heat and I have got to get her a spayed, but she must have had her milk dried up for 2 weeks before they'll do surgery--and as long as her babies have access to her they will nurse. She's a stray I took in pregnant and she is kept in an outdoor enclosure--I can't risk her getting out and getting pregnant again.

I have to do what is best for the whole group--honestly 8 weeks is unheard of here--most do it at 6 weeks with moggies. I'm not saying that its what is the best, the longer the better, but I am ultimately trying to help stop the cat overpopulation and that means I have to get my momma spayed.

Leslie

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
this is her 2nd litter and she wasnt as bad the 1st time altho we did keep 1 of the kittens who's a lovely 1 year old now , the other 2 went at 8 weeks and were fine , she is just ur normal moggie not pedigree so i thought 8 weeks was about normal , some people in this area do rehome them at 6 weeks . ty for all ur comments i will bear them all in mind . today she calls them to feed then wen they get there she gets up so i do think its time they did have independence i will miss them when theyve gone and wish i could keep all of them but i have 3 other cats so dont think hubby would like me having 7 cats lol

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
She does seem conflicted about what she wants, huh? :lol: Come here to eat! Nope, I don't want you mobbing me. Bye!
Will you have her spayed? Then she wouldn't need to go through all the hassle of raising litters and could just relax and be a pampered kitty.
h

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes we r going to have her spayed , her kittens have now gone and shes doing well she does occasionally keep bringing me socks and meowing then dropping them at my feet so she is missing her babies awwww but im sure in a couple of days she will be fine

1 - 8 of 8 Posts