Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice on wormers. My vet has prescribed Panacur for the furrkids worming treatment, but I've heard this brand only kills roundworm, whereas Drontal kills both roundworm as well as tapeworm. Does anyone know if this is correct? I don't understand what the point is of having a wormer that treats only one kind, so maybe the information I have is not correct? Since it's difficult to spot worms, I'd rather have something that does it all. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
Yup ive used panacur for both aswell. I expect there will be a type of panacur which may only do one type, but the ones ive used do both.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Zalensia,

They provided me with sachets which I sprinkle on their food. Have you used those?

·
Registered
99 Posts
That's the usual way that panacur is dispensed. Just make sure that they eat all of the powder in the sachets. I would put it in canned food and mix it well. That's the way that we recommend to clients using panacur.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I actually like the powder/granuals. When they were babies, the shelter gave them the liquid - but I've always found it hard to give medicine to animals that way. Now making sure they eat all the food....that's the hard part (for 1 of them at least)! :lol: One kitty is a little piglet and eats everything, the other is a bit prissy and picks at her food. Sable (the piglet) gobbles her dish and then tries to move to Bella's and finish that off as well. I've had to sit right next to them for their past several meals to make sure Sable doesn't OD on the wormer. :)

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
I did Vienna with the granuals the first time, I didnt really like that much. espcially now I have 5, and know they would be in each others food dish. The last few times I got a panacur chocolate flavour tablet. Its pretty big, I thought at first how an earth am I going to get them to eat this!?
But it was a breeze, all of them wolfed them down with no trouble, butch even tried to steal his sisters and was looking for more!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts