Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My kitten, Gadget, was taken into the vet on Monday. I have a very long story about him, which I will post in another topic area. Anyway, I figured it would be a simple in and out kind of thing. The vet said he wanted to keep him, get him cleaned up, and assess the wounds on his feet. I called back later that afternoon and they told me they were going to keep him overnight since they actually decided to put sutures in his feet and to call in the morning. So I decided to stop by there the next morning. He said that he'd really like to monitor him the rest of the day and to call back that afternoon. So I called back. Still wanted to keep him, call back in the morning. I called THIS morning and they told me to just wait until this afternoon. (Exhausting). So I just decided to go by there again. Basically the whole time they were telling me that he was still acting "sleepy," although he was eating really well.

So I went there again and this time I got to take him with me. However, when I looked at him, his head was really wobbly and he can't really walk without almost falling over. Basically, to me, it seems as though the anesthesia hasn't worn off yet. The vet wants to see him again on Friday.

Gadget is approximately 6-8 weeks old. Does it usually take this long for anesthesia to wear off little ones? I brought him home, turned on the heating pad, and he instantly laid down like he was craving warmth. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

·
Premium Member
18,379 Posts
So it's been two full days since he had anesthesia? He should definitely be perked up by now. If he's not showing signs if improvement in the morning I would get him to a vet...a different vet. Vets need to be extremely careful when anesthetizing the very young ones, it would be very easy to overdose a cat that young.

Of course continuing monitoring him tonight (I'd check on him regularly through the night) and rush him to an e-vet if he appears to getting worse.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So it's been two full days since he had anesthesia? He should definitely be perked up by now. If he's not showing signs if improvement in the morning I would get him to a vet...a different vet. Vets need to be extremely careful when anesthetizing the very young ones, it would be very easy to overdose a cat that young.

Of course continuing monitoring him tonight (I'd check on him regularly through the night) and rush him to an e-vet if he appears to getting worse.
What surprises me is that the vet I took him to has a reputation of being a great vet. Which is why I wasn't too worried when he said he had to anesthetize him and put in sutures. But I did kind of feel as though I was getting the runaround when they kept telling me that he was "still sleepy" or "still weak" each time I would call or go by there. I will definitely keep a close eye on him tonight. Thanks for your reply!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Some vets require pre-testing for any exisitng conditions, especially heart conditions, that anesthesia would exacerbate.

I would talk directly to your vet about your kitten's reaction before judging what they did. Ask questions. Be open.

Hoping your little kit makes a full recovery in no time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's been about 5 hours since we brought him home and he seems to be doing better. He slept really well and comfy almost the whole time. He actually got down on the floor for a few minutes and walked around pretty well. I'm hoping home and love is all he needs to recuperate fully. I'll keep monitoring him and updating any progress. Thanks, everyone! Here is a pic of him right after we picked him up:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Aww, I am melting with cuteness overload! What a cutie. :love2

Sending good vibes your way and your kitty's way. I hope it all works out.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Do you know what they gave him? Some cats are more sensitive to certain drugs than others. You're vet may not have necessarily overdosed the kitty, he just may be very sensitive which is why its important that you find out exactly what they gave him so that he won't recieve that drug in the future.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you know what they gave him? Some cats are more sensitive to certain drugs than others. You're vet may not have necessarily overdosed the kitty, he just may be very sensitive which is why its important that you find out exactly what they gave him so that he won't recieve that drug in the future.
According to the invoice, they gave him a small amount of Telazol. Gadget weighs under 1lb, so I know it's probably difficult to dose him. He's definitely doing better today. He's eating like a little monster and is wanting us to hold him constantly, just like before. I'm hoping tomorrow is even better than today!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts