Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First ill give you the sitiuation...

Ive been away on vacation since early saturday morning, got back monday evening. my mother has been working steady days and was only home to actually see anything happen sunday evening and monday evening.

I got home to find out that Boo had thrown up saturday night. A clearish mucousy type. In itself no big deal. But, she has been kind of mopey since then. As a precaution (because no eating or drinking was *seen*) my mother has been giving her water by syringe since she noticed the mopeys that sunday (the throwup was around 2am sunday morning). Thats the only throwup we have seen or come across.

Now, i came home monday, found out. and thought its concerning but not critical. But as time went on i was worried. I got out the wet food (whcih my mother vomits at the smell of, so didnt give them) which she normally is quite happy for. She got happy and smelled it, but, no eating.

We were discussing what to do, i even went to the drug store and grabbed some pedialite. just as i got home, i picked her up intending to give her some pedialite. But, just to see what would happen i put her near the wet food again. She drank some on her own. about 20 minutes after that, i put in some extra, warm water, and she drank a little bit more on her own.

She has not vomited since then. she didnt vomit up any of the water by syringe either.

After she came away from the food into the living room, i was just petting her and picked her up, holding her against me. (whcih on a good day she is a squirmy worm). she was comfortable staying snuggled on me, for a good half hour, nearly sleeping..

Now, as she was snuggled on me she was very relaxed, purring (whcih i know could mean an intense emotion of any kind, but im hoping relaxation). But the most positive sign i noticed was that she was slowly twitching her tail. i was just petting her near her maine area, talking softly to her.

she is currently on my lap relaxing right now. still purring. even got a paw squish/knead.

Im still goingto call the vet first thing in the morning, but can anyone tell me if the tail twitching/purring/drinking wet food water/possibly eating some on her own are good signs? (i didnt actually see her have some the second time, i just came in the room and saw her licking her lips.)

Im still going to just to be safe give her some more water by syringe before i attempt sleep (dont see that going all that well with being worried).

if anyone has any other advice, or anything (besides call the vet which i know i need to do), anything would be great!!

The internet (i know, not as reliable) said that sometimes cats can just feel unwell and need to rest their tummies, to try and offer wet food/meat baby food without onion or garlic (i found one containing only chicken and chicken broth). it said sometimes even 3 or 4 days without eating can be normal as long as theyre hydrated.

just this moment, as she was sitting on my lap, she started to groom my hand a little bit. another good sign?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
she has since my last post had 2 more decent sized drinks of the chicken water on her own.

no puking.

no perking up yet.... but no puking.

im scared to even go to sleep but im so exhausted from my trip i have to at least try!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I knew this was in the wrong area but was looking for an immediate response and that area is most read....

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Is she eating her regular wet food now? If so, probably the switch to the dry when you were gone upset her system. Also she's probably just really glad to see you after your absence.

I'd say>>
tail twitching/purring/drinking wet food water/possibly eating some on her own are good signs?>> these are good signs. But if she's not eating, lip licking can indicate nausea.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Any cat who doesn't eat for more than 24 hrs should be checked by a vet. Unlike dogs, who can fast for relatively long periods without significant health risk, a cat who doesn't eat sufficiently for more than 24 hrs is at risk of developing hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver disease). The longer they go without eating adequately, the higher the risk. You should take your girl to the vet for bloodwork and a checkup ASAP to see what's going on with her. Hopefully she was just upset by your absence over the weekend and went off her food, but you do need to get her eating again by any means necessary.

Let us know what the vet says, and make sure you get copies of any lab work you have run on her.

Laurie

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still need to call the vet , very soon. But she's acting much more herself today. She's been vocal again ( wasn't yesterdayyet), and I even caught her eating some of her kibbles earlier. When I got up for good she was sitting in her window again. Yesterday she was basically just avoiding moving. Almost like when she first arrived here. Just sitting waiting to feel better.

Seeing her drink all those times earlier and seeing her act more herself and even some eating makes me feel MUCH better!!

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Eating is a GREAT sign. Sounds like maybe she was just upset by your absence and the change in her routine. Keep an eye on her eating to make sure she's consuming a normal amount and not just picking at a couple of kibbles every now and then.

Laurie

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I may have found a root cause for her odd behaviour.

I noticed (it was quicker, during a yawn) a whiteish little spot on her tongue. Thinking back, i remember wondering about redness on her tongue in the same little spot. I think she has just been licking at her belly SO much that she irritated her tongue. (treating her belly is a 2 person job and was not done while i was away, or a few days before as i was busy getting ready and running errands and such, and mom was at work when i was home. it had been a good week).

Its not swollen or anything.

I know exactly what it looks like because when i was little i used to bite at the inside of my gums to the point of creating little holes (strange habit, and it hurt, dont ask me why.) but when the holes were healing they were filled over with a white coloured like, mouth-scab, until they fully healed.

her tongue looks EXACTLY like that.

I did call the vet and explain the entire situation, and they said that since i had seen some improvement that that was good, just to keep a close eye and make sure i keep seeing improvement. She is acting like herself now.

I wonder if wihle i was gone she wasnt eating because her tongue hurt to eat, and the throw up was just a strange timing coincidence?

I took a couple of videos of her while grooming my hand and herself. i hope if i inspect them more closely ill be able to catch a still photo of it. ultimately i need to record her yawning.

But, its healing over and she has been eating a good amount again. when my inner lips were white they no longer hurt. it hurt while it was still a hole.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
(the only thing i didnt tell the vet was the white tongue spot because i just noticed it myself)

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Funny, I used to chew the insides of my cheeks, too, so I know exactly what you're talking about.

I'm glad that your girl is eating well again. Oh, and FYI, when a cat isn't eating, it's common for stomach acid to build up and cause vomiting of white or yellowish foam. Her vomiting wasn't a coincidence at all. Just a side effect of her not eating.

Laurie

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I feel much better now.

I still have an appointment for tuesday, since they both are due for a booster shot anyway im going to bring them both in. but ill have my peace of mind anyway. Will mention about her upsets before they give the shot, just in case... but she is seeming to feel just fine.

I felt the need to spoil so i went out and bought her (and him) some Catmilk. I havent given any of that since shortly after she first got here. just for a little treat. Figured it couldnt hurt! It does say on it that its easy to digest even for little kittens.

(not regular milk, the whiskas catmilk).

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just got back from the vets.

Both check out well with heart and lungs etc.

Boos only issue is her allergies. I mentioned the tongue and actually my vet is 75% sure that the tongue is allergy related. So, as well as her booster she got an allergy shot too (stronger version of cortizone).

He did say that theres asmall chance it could be something else, if she doesnt respond to the cortizone in about 2 weeks (her tongue anyway).

but he said with her belly still acting up some, he is sure that its all allergy related. he said if it was his cat he would go this route too.

(other option was to do a biopsy to see what exactly it is, which involves putting them to sleep, which involves LOTS of money). so we went with the route of try the cortizone and see how she reacts. if she doesnt react to the cortizone then we may have to see whats going on, but if at 2 weeks its even starting to get smaller thats a good sign.

trick will be to monitor it. he had a book with photos of it though on cats tongues too. its more common on the gums and such but it can happen on the tongue (which is what this picture was of).

so, paws crossed that she responds well to the cortizone!!

Theyre both generally doing well though, so that makes me feel better :)

if boo hadnt started eating again i would be terrified, but since shes acting back to normal, hopefully its just that and just needs time to heal.

they did a swab to see if it would need antibiotics, and that came back clean. so hopefully its just that :)

fingers and paws crossed!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Very happy to hear Boo is doing better! Animals with allergies can be difficult to care for, but once they're feeling better, it's like a magic cure!

I hope she does well on the cortisone.

BTW, I felt it pertinent to add -

A cat CANNOT go 4 -5 days without eating. A cat cannot fast the way a human can, or even a dog can.

Even after just a day or two of not eating, a cat literally begins to starve to death. Their liver can be seriously damaged and they can get a condition called hepatic lipidosis ("fatty liver").

I'm not trying to scare you unduly about Boo's current condition, because it sounds like she's been eating again, but in the future, even ONE day of food refusal is serious.

At those times, it is much better to get her to eat anything you can, rather than nothing. The meat baby food is a good idea, or even boiled chicken, canned tuna or sardines, or a bit of lunchmeats (as long as they're unspiced/unseasoned).

You can even consider having a few cans of Fancy Feast Classic (pate texture) around. This is generally considered "kitty crack" as even very finicky eaters will chow down on Fancy Feast! Fancy Feast may be a "cheaper" food, but its Classics line is actually grain-free, I think, which makes me happy.

Let us know how Boo is doing!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Boos tongue is actually already looking quite a bit better!! At least, not as white/scabby. But the vet did say the shot could take up to 2 weeks to work... so i wonder if it was some strange fluke thing now where she had hurt her tongue and it was a true scab?? Hmm.

of course i couldnt get a GOOD look as she was at home and comfortable, trying to lick away my hand... but from what i could see, it looks to be getting smaller!! :)

i have a picture on my phone from tuesday, it was absolutely disgusting that day... its looking so much better today.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts