Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've now begun using canned food almost exclusively. I used to give canned food once a week or so.

I've noticed that one cat always eats her portion and will gladly help the other cat finish his. My other cat will only ever eat 2/3 of his portion, which is well below the recommended daily amount (he's 14lbs, and I'm using 5.5oz innova).

Is this something I should worry about? Right now I'm just putting his unused portion into the fridge with the rest of the leftovers. I'm mostly worried either that one cat is overeating and the other is eating normally or one cat is eating normally and the other is undereating.

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
My cats are completely on wet food now and I 've noticed the same thing. I feed them three meals a day which amounts to slightly over 6 oz a day per cat. Do you feed them in meals, or all at once? If it is a single feeding a day, you may need to break it into two or three so he has room in his stomach for more food.
Are you aiming for some weight loss? If your cat is 14 lbs, it couldn't hurt to lose some weight. I weigh my cats at the vets about every 3-4 weeks to ensure that they are not losing too much. This would make it easy to tell if your cat is getting enough to eat. If he is losing more than 1/2 lb per month, than you might want to suppliment with a bit of dry food or put him in a seperate room when eating so that he can get his fill. How much does your other cat weigh?

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
queen of the nile said:
My cats are completely on wet food now and I 've noticed the same thing. I feed them three meals a day which amounts to slightly over 6 oz a day per cat. Do you feed them in meals, or all at once? If it is a single feeding a day, you may need to break it into two or three so he has room in his stomach for more food.
Are you aiming for some weight loss? If your cat is 14 lbs, it couldn't hurt to lose some weight. I weigh my cats at the vets about every 3-4 weeks to ensure that they are not losing too much. This would make it easy to tell if your cat is getting enough to eat. If he is losing more than 1/2 lb per month, than you might want to suppliment with a bit of dry food or put him in a seperate room when eating so that he can get his fill. How much does your other cat weigh?
I started out with 2 meals a day at 8am and 8pm - 1 can each meal (i.e. 1/2 can each). However, I had previously fed them 3 times a day (8am, 5pm, 10pm). I tried this as well and it's the same story. He never finished his portion.

The other cat is 12lbs or so. They are both somewhat overweight, although it's hard to say how much because he is a larger built cat.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Would it be possible to separate them at feeding time? My two cats are the same way if fed together. However, when I feed one in the kitchen and one in the study, the chub eats her portion and skinny minny eats all of hers, though it takes her much longer.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rayona said:
Would it be possible to separate them at feeding time? My two cats are the same way if fed together. However, when I feed one in the kitchen and one in the study, the chub eats her portion and skinny minny eats all of hers, though it takes her much longer.
I've been thinking about that. The issue is that he just walks away from his food or pretend-buries it. I may try separate feeding, but I suspect he still won't finish his food.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts