Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if it's possible that canned food will make a cat feel more full than dry food? Any thoughts? I'm changing my cats from dry to canned because of weight issues and now he doesn't seem to be as hungry as often as he was before. I am also feeding less than I was before too which is why I'm wondering. I appreciate any thoughts or comments. Thanks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yes, especially if you feed a high protein canned food. Kibble is higher in carbohydrates which are empty and unsatisfying calories for cats.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks. My buddy really needs to lose weight. I'm hoping that switching him will make a difference. I noticed today he didn't act like he was starving to death all day like he used to. Hoping that is a good sign and I can get him down to what he should weigh.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Yup, thats a good sign :)

·
Registered
346 Posts
What you will notice if you feed at the same times everyday and in the same spot, that he will come and "assume his position," as I like to call it, to say, "okay I'm ready, let's get this show on the road!".
I have three and this is what they do. It's so funny, because I didn't realize that they were doing this until my husband pointed it out to me.
You will see that he will feel very content with his wet food and that he will probably drink less water because he is getting what he needs from his wet food. After a while, you might even get your old "kitten" back! You might exercise him with his favorite toys to help get the weight off. My Littleman gets quite a workout from Da Bird. Loves it!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yeah, it will make them *feel* a little more full before of the greater volume because of the fluid content. Just like I would feel more full after eating 200 calories worth of fresh fruit rather than a 200 calorie cookie.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. I'm so glad to have experienced people giving me answers and helping me out. I have been playing with them a few times a day now and they both seem to have more energy than before. I will be very happy when the weight starts coming off. I worry about them and I want them around for a long time.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Also, buy them a toy like Da Bird, which gets even the most lazy cats up and running around to help with exercise :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks -- I've been thinking about getting Da Bird. The laseer pointer only works for about 2 seconds then he lays down and just watches it. My little one will chase it for about 30 seconds and then she gets bored. I guess I have weird cats cuz they don't like the dot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts