Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have spoken with one of our practices doctors about this, and he's fairly inconclusive at this point. I have the option of filing a report in regaurds to the FIP vaccination in hopes to find out more, but I wanted to see if anyone has had any related issues in the past.

About 2 months ago, Asim was updated for his yearly vacs, included was the FIP which is given through the nose.

Since this time a large portion of the pigmentation on his nose has turned completely white (colourless) while the rest of it remains a dark reddish/pink as normal. My other 2 cats also had the FIP vx that same day, but did not have any such reaction.
His nose is now still having the same problem, but otherwise he seems fine and has suffered no effects.
I know it's not impossible but rare the the pigmentation on a cats nose will change, like some dogs will. But in all my cases I have never seen or heard of this happening personally.

Does anyone have an explination or similar experience with this matter to help shed some light on this?

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
No explanation here, but I definitely had a similar experience. Punky lost the coloring on her nose not too long after her vaccinations. At first I blamed it on the feline acne (it showed up at the same time); but the acne is long gone and she's still colorless around her nose. You can see the loss of color in my sig, it wasn't always that way. She also has a very dry nose... Although I'm not sure if that's related to the loss of pigment.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just wanted to add some pictures I just took, it looks different now then it did a few days ago and I'm not sure what to think.

Before the white area was much larger, and was not outlined in black like it is now in these photos.
My appologies for the large freaky images.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
When our collies' black nose turned mostly pink-over a period of time-the vet told us to use stainless steel bowls. His nose is now almost all black. I also raised his food dishes at the same time. I have not seen this condition in a cat, however. I'm sure one of the vets can help you.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
When our collie's black nose turned mostly pink-over a period of time-the vet told us to use stainless steel bowls. His nose is now almost all black. I also raised his food dishes at the same time. I have not seen this condition in a cat, however. I'm sure one of the vets can help you. I believe Dr. Jean recommends glass bowls.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts