Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I let Luke out into the enclosure I built in the our back yard most every day, but I don't let Cubby out there any more because he's freaked out in there and climbs the walls in there and acts unpredictable. I carry him out the back yard often just for a few minutes and let him smell the air and hear the birds, and yesterday he jumped down but I caught him from getting too far.

It would not be a good idea to let him out there without a leash on right? I don't usually put a leash on him for the same reason - he acts unpredictable. Is there a chance he might dart and then I could lose him? This is not a good area to let a cat roam free, I never would let a cat out to roam here. There are a few feral cats and around, poison ivy, cars, etc. I hope these aren't dumb questions.
Cubby seems OK about being a mostly indoor cat. I love my cats and I wouldn't want to risk something happening to them.

· Registered
8,949 Posts
I used to take Boook out for walks on a leash when the evenings were nice but after the 4th time when he suddenly flipped out and slipped his 'no slip' harness I stopped.

A car went by and blew their horn at us and he WIGGED out. When he jumped he clawed the heck out of me, got tangled in his leash, and SLAMMED himself into the concrete sidewalk. The he really spazzed out and got out of his harness and took off. I was lucky that he got caught in a corner of fencing and let SO get close enough to grab him.

We're done with walks now. Never again.

· Registered
1,719 Posts
I used to take Boook out for walks on a leash when the evenings were nice but after the 4th time when he suddenly flipped out and slipped his 'no slip' harness I stopped.

A car went by and blew their horn at us and he WIGGED out. When he jumped he clawed the heck out of me, got tangled in his leash, and SLAMMED himself into the concrete sidewalk. The he really spazzed out and got out of his harness and took off. I was lucky that he got caught in a corner of fencing and let SO get close enough to grab him.

We're done with walks now. Never again.
So sorry to hear about your experiences walking Book. I do agree that if the cat's temperament does not lend itself for a pleasurable walk, then stop it right away. The whole idea is for it to be a joy for everyone involved. 3 of my cats will not set foot outside. It is just their own personal preference to remain inside. Egypt is the only one always in the mood to go out.

I probably should make more time to take her out, but when she does go out, she circles the perimeter of the house and weaves in and out of bushes for about an hour or so and then she's ready to head back inside. If she ever darted away or anything else bad happened, I certainly would not take her back out.

For the OP, I think it's safer for you just to keep your cat inside. You can't control everything outside and if he already acts unpredictably, that is not going to work in your or his favor. Don't feel guilty...maybe a bird feeder in an outside window that can be kept slightly open is a good compromise for your both?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.