Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, the house cats are on a diet now. I was just free-feeding dry food and giving wet in the evening to them, but now I'm giving them 1 ounce of wet food in the morning and evening, plus measuring out some dry food for them to munch on during the day. The cats in question are 14yr old 11 pound Sassy (should be about 9 pounds) and 7yr old 12 pound Buddy (it wouldn't hurt him to loose a little weight, but he's not really overweight). Does this seem like enough, too little, or too much food?

Mornings: 1oz wet food (Nutro or Natural Balance). Scoop 1/2 cup dry food (Chicken Soup Adult Light formula at 302 kcal/cup) for cats to share and munch on during the day.

Evenings: 1oz wet food (same brands as above). And, of course, a cat treat (Bil Jac) before bed.

TIA :D

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I approach diets differently, not by amounts. I think restricting amount of food is tricky and even dangerous because cats vary so much in their actual requirements. I recommend meal-feeding, since constant munching is not good for cats. They are hunters, designed to hunt, kill, eat, sleep, then a day or two later, go out hunting again. A feral cat might kill a mouse every day or two, and that's plenty.

I'd give more canned food, since the dry is what makes them overweight--with the vast overdose of carbohydrates present in all dry foods.

Generally, a good way to feed is to put down plenty of canned food and a little dry for 30-60 minutes in the morning and again at night. They'll figure out the schedule pretty quickly and eat what they need in the allotted time.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dr Jean. They'll only eat so much wet food at a time, but I'll happily offer them more if they want it. I was trying to compromise with the older kitty with allowing the munching on dry food because she's been free-fed dry food all her life. Old habits die hard, for both her and me. So I guess I'll keep giving them 1/2 cup dry food to share during the day but give them as much wet food as they'll eat morning and evening.

Thanks again. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts