Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya,

Dylan has a touch of feline acne under his chin. He has ceramic bowls etc but eats both dry and wet food so I think the dry has caused it.

Anyway I read in another post that DrJean suggested using barbitane on the area to help clear it away. I managed to get a lot of with a cotton pad and water but I just wondered if that stuff was easily available in UK, how do you apply it and how long it takes generally to improve?

It doesn't bother him or anything, just noticed some after his bath the other day and don't want to to develop further.

If I think of more questions I shall return!
Hayley x x

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Betadine. It's a povidone-iodine antiseptic soap. It's available in the US in every grocery store and drug store, so I imagine it would be pretty easy to find anywhere.

Caution: It has to be waaaaay diluted or it will irritate the skin. Make a solution of warm water and a few drops of Betadine, just so the water is weak-tea colored. Sponge that on the area with the cotton ball. As long as it is dilute, you don't have to rinse.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't seem to find it online in one of the major high street pharmacy/health and beauty shop

Is there any alternatives - would dilute tea tree oil do any good?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Tea tree oil is extremely toxic to cats.

Any antiseptic soap would do; povidone iodine, chlorhexadine, etc. Your vet would probably be able to give you the brand name of the ones in your area.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 4 of 4 Posts