Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried and tried and tried some more and then tried again to get Tuffy to eat wet cat food - I've tried every brand - every flavor - different textures - with gravy - without - pate - you name it -I think I tried it. Wasted ALOT of food in the process - ugh.

The ONLY wet food he will even touch is the Fancy Feast Appetizers - which yes I know is NOT good for kittys healthwise.

So my question is - do I feed him ONLY his 'Taste Of The Wild' dry food - and leave out the wet altogether or is it better to give him the wet food thats not so healthy - just so he's getting more moisture in his diet?

He has a problem with some constipation which is why I started the hunt for wet food in the first place - IF he gets the appetizers twice a day along with the dry - he seem so be ok - if I let them out - constipation.

He is not real big on drinking water from his bowl - he would rather drink from the sink and as soon as I've money - I'm getting him a fountain because I'm sure it would increase his water intake.

Someone suggested adding pumpkin to his food but of course he wont' touch that either - I swear he's a diva when it comes to food. Dry food he will eat almost anything but wet? no way.

I'm one frustrated cat mommy!!!!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Have you tried the pouches? My kitties love the Wellness pouches but there are probably other good brands. The fountain is also a good idea, mine love theirs although it took Cooper a day or two to use it, Jackson loved it from day one.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Oh how frustrating! Someone mentioned (Doodlebug?) about grinding kibble in a coffee grinder and sprinkling the powder over canned... would that fool him?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
One of my cat, Meatball, doesn't like wet food either. She loves dry food and is not picky about dry food brand, but as to wet food, she only eat two brands: Meow Mix canned food (her faviorate of all food), and Natural's Instinct Rabbit meat. The rabbit one is too expensive (about $3 per 5.5oz can) and Meow Mix is not that healthy. So what I'm doing right now is to mix dry food (Orijen, which is quite good), Meow Mix, and Holistic Select canned food all together, about same amount of each, and add extra water. I think it might be a good compromise. I'm working on reducing Meow Mix, but no luck so far.

As to the water fountain, I'm not sure... Both my cats are long-haired, and I heard from my friends who have fountains complaining about how easy the fountain will be clogged with cat hair. Also my cats may play with the water, making water everywhere.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I guess every kitty has different taste then :) I actually tried Fancy Feast Appetizers and Frisky on Meatball. I was trying to figure out why she only likes Meow Mix, maybe because of the aritifical flavors they put in the low-quality cans? But it won't work. She doesn't like them either. I really don't know what in Meow Mix attracts her :/

·
Banned
948 Posts
To answer your specific question - I would definitely feed him whatever canned he'll eat, no matter the "quality", versus no canned at all.

Gradually, you can increase the amount/frequency of canned and decrease the dry and then - when he's accustomed to considering wet food a major part of his regular diet - start trying different flavors again. There are several "tricks" you can use to get him to try wet foods. Sprinkling anything he really likes over the wet food is a good bet. That can be crushed kibble (if you have to), crushed treats (like Temptations), crumbled freeze-dried meat (such as seen here [but don't buy from Amazon, that price is crazy!]; the Chicken and Cod are irresistible to all six of my kitties); Bonito or fish food flakes, tuna juice, boiled chicken or turkey, Parmesan cheese, the list is endless. Once he starts eating a variety, you can keep expanding the flavors in your rotation so he becomes accustomed to eating different meals all the time.

Good luck!

AC

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
I found a local store that has Natures Variety Instinct canned cat food, I got a can of Rabbit and a can of the Lamb.
The Rabbit was $1.99 and the Lamb $1.60 for a 5.5 oz can.
I give Chiquita a 1/4 can of the rabbit this mourning and she gobbled it up, she ate half then took care of business then came back and actually laid down at her bowl and ate the rest.
I hope she like the lamb too, I'm planning on serving it once a week or so rotated with the Merrick 96% BG Chicken which she really likes.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I know exactly what you are going through. I have the same troubles with my cats. My 5 year old female wouldn't touch anything I threw at her for years. I have a few she likes now and am currently trying out more. She's incredibly picky but at least she eats some soft food.

It's my male that is the current problem. He was fed Origen dry since he could eat solids but still refuses soft food. He treats it like litter...literally....he does the litter scrape thing on the floor when I lay it down. He had a blockage 1 week ago this day. He is only 1.5 years old. I didn't think it could happen to me but it did and my vet bill was $1650. I don't want to scare you by saying that that but I think it's more important that he has some soft rather then none. As long as there is a soft he likes you can build off it. You just gotta keep trying. I've included two links that I found with lots of ideas.

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health – a ways down the page you will find an article called Transitioning Dry Food Addicts to Canned Food.

How to Transition Your Cat to a Raw Diet
There is a section on transitioning from dry to grain free canned

If you haven't seen it yet, I have a similar thread going with many other ideas posted by members. I've been collecting tricks from every source I can get my hands on. I will keep an eye on this thread too to see how it's going.

Good Luck!

http://www.catforum.com/forum/38-he...t-wet-food-prevent-another-urinary-block.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts