Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friends are having an issue where their one cat (the one that was there first) is not allowing the other cat (slightly later addition) into the boxes always. Whats happening is eventually the newer cat ends up going outside the box, because hte other cat will physically not allow the newer one into either of the boxes (they have 2 boxes, in totally different areas).

Technically the new kitty isnt doing anything wrong, but gets desprate and must go somewhere. at this point theyre attached to both (as are their kids) and dont want to get rid of anyone. They have actually seen the cats do this. the newer one *wanted* to be good and go in the litter but wasnt 'allowed'.

They do have a feliway thingy in their kitchen (plug in kind) it said to put it where they are usually. the kitchen joins the living room where they are most.

so with separated boxes, feliway - what else can they do?? I know logic would say get rid of one, but when your attached and thats a last option - what can be done to help their issues?

·
Super Moderator
26,836 Posts
That was one of the last straws with Gigi. She was blocking the entrance to two litter boxes and Charlee was too scared and pooped in the corner of my bedroom, right in front of me!! Poor little girl knew it was wrong, and was whimpering, but she couldn't get to either box. That's why my girls are separated during the day. Part of me wants to let them hash out their issues, but I can't leave them alone together and risk having my girls pee and poop wherever they're trapped.

Your friends may have to keep them physically separated with their own litter boxes until they can work things out. You might suggest that they begin the introduction completely over, from step one, using the guidelines here:

Cat-to-Cat Introductions | Little Big Cat

And baby gates sometimes help them get more used to each other.

I understand about not wanting to get rid of either one. As much as this makes my life a living heck sometimes, I don't know if I could actually do it.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the thing with these guys is tho, when it comes to anything besides the litter box - they get along great/have no problems. they will even sometimes snuggle.

its just a weird litter box thing

as it turns out, we got SO lucky when we got Boo. We didnt use baby gates or introduce scents or anything. she was spurr of the moment so we just brought her home and plopped her into the house. even with just the one litter box for a long while, and Simba had no issues. her poop smelled like literally garbage too, im really surprised simba didnt turn away from that box after that. the worst was that for a while Simba wastn himself and kinda glared at her, as if to say "why are YOU in MY house?". but he came out of that in about a week, maybe less.

even same food bowl too. no issues at all. just hte occasional chasing each other that all cats do.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts