Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although all of my cats are indoors only, I still decided to get them microchipped. The question is, does the brand of microchip matter? Should I pay attention to the name of the company which makes microchips or all of microchips are equally good? :?:

I have just called my veterinary hospital and they told me that they have "Home Again (Schering)" microchips. Are these good ones? :?:

Here is the description of "Home Again" microchip in the Internet:
http://www.spah.com/usa/products/fullde ... =273&sID=1

Other information about "Home Again" microchips is here:
http://www.homeagainid.com

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
That's a great idea, and I highly recommend it for peace of mind. Ours are indoors too, and they've all been microchipped with the HomeAgain ones.

There's only 2 major chip brands in the US, AVID and the HomeAgain. Most shelters and vets have universal readers that can read any kind of chip, and even if only the number pops up, they'll know which registry to call to get info, so it's VERY important to keep your info updated with whichever company you go with. You will need to pay an additional $12 to be registered in the company's national database. It was very easy to register and update info online.

Here I got ours chipped for $28 each at a mobile vet. My regular vet charged $35. I called various vets in my area to get prices, and some charged up to $50, and it's for the same thing. Our shelters don't offer it in general, and I don't know about the Humane Society. However, when we adopted Pixie, our adoption price covered her chip, and they did it at the shelter.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Superkitties said:
Here I got ours chipped for $28 each at a mobile vet. My regular vet charged $35. I called various vets in my area to get prices, and some charged up to $50, and it's for the same thing. Our shelters don't offer it in general, and I don't know about the Humane Society. However, when we adopted Pixie, our adoption price covered her chip, and they did it at the shelter.
Thank you for your answer.

I checked the price with my vet, he charges $29 for microchiping, so the price is reasonable. However, I don't know the amount of the registration fee yet. Hopefully, it is going to be around $12 as you've written. Anyway I want to do it. My Maine Coon is too quick and too curious.

Have you ever heard of international microchip standards :?:

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Adora said:
However, I don't know the amount of the registration fee yet. Hopefully, it is going to be around $12 as you've written.
Don't worry, it's a fixed fee that you'll pay directly to HomeAgain for reg to AKC. Just check the FAQ section.

Adora said:
Have you ever heard of international microchip standards :?:
You probably read the same stuff I did, but just in case... American Humane ISO standards
All these new developments and improvements are just wonderful. My hubby told me about a new chip coming out with GPS capability, you can track exact location up to a certain distance. It's going to take several years to get it researched and marketed, but boy, am I excited.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My hubby told me about a new chip coming out with GPS capability, you can track exact location up to a certain distance. It's going to take several years to get it researched and marketed, but boy, am I excited.
You mean if I get my cats chipped NOW then later on I want to use that new chip with GPS, I'd have to have another chip put in or can the current chip be updated electronically or something?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It seems that having ISO-chip is better. We don't know yet, but there is an opportunity for us to move either to Canada or Europe. In this case, Home Again microchips won't be useful :cry: :cry:

However, I don't know the pet hospitals in my area who have those ISO-chips (yesterday I called 7 of them, and they all have Home Again microchips) :cry: From what I've read so far, the International Standard microchips are not popular in the USA. So even if I get my pet ISO-microchipped, AVID and Home Again scanners cannot read the ISO-codes, so the ISO-chips won't be helpful in the US.

Right now there are talks that the microchips might get updated or become upgradeable, but being a technical person, I feel a little suspicious about it. :oops:

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Pamela4cats said:
You mean if I get my cats chipped NOW then later on I want to use that new chip with GPS, I'd have to have another chip put in or can the current chip be updated electronically or something?
You know, I have no idea how it's going to work out, but I think that yes, you'd have to have another chip put in. I'd do it in a snap though, it would be such a great thing. These things are so tiny, next time you're at the vets, have her show one to you to get a sense of size.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Adora said:
It seems that having ISO-chip is better. We don't know yet, but there is an opportunity for us to move either to Canada or Europe. In this case, Home Again microchips won't be useful
I know what you mean. We're also going to be moving around a few other countries. But while we're here, it just made me feel better that they've got some type of nonremovable ID. We'll deal with that other hurdle when it comes. Trust me, you'll be crying your eyes out over the quarantine regulations more than ISO chips, unless you move to the UK, where the rules are streamlined (thankfully). Hmm, I think Canada is easier too.

However, if you may not be in your present situation for much longer, it may not make sense for you to get it at all.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Superkitties said:
But while we're here, it just made me feel better that they've got some type of nonremovable ID. We'll deal with that other hurdle when it comes. Trust me, you'll be crying your eyes out over the quarantine regulations more than ISO chips, unless you move to the UK, where the rules are streamlined (thankfully). Hmm, I think Canada is easier too.
However, if you may not be in your present situation for much longer, it may not make sense for you to get it at all.
You are right. Probably I'm gonna get them microchipped anyway. We still have at least three years down the road. So we'll see about moving :wink:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts