Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My kitten has an appointment for his second set of shots on August 6th. We adopted him about a week and a half ago from a local shelter, where he was exposed to tons of other adults and kittens, making it very easy to catch various illnesses. It wasn't until a few days ago that his nose and eyes got really crusty, particularly his nose. So I quickly emailed a rescue buddy of mine who did mostly cat rescue (my cat rescue was limited) to get advice. Now what I need to know is how quickly respiratory infections progress in kittens. My general rule of thumb is if you think something is wrong, go to the vet asap. However, because I haven't worked with and researched as much about cats as I have with dogs, I dont' know if this is something that can wait until the 6th, which is 10 or so days away, although I could move his appointment up.

Can someone please give me more information on this. Regardless, he's going to the vet, but I want to make sure he will be fine in the meantime. Aside from his crusty nose and eyes, he is very active and isn't showing any signs of being sick. He's also picked up some weight. Feed back will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Kittens can go downhill very quickly. If it's affecting his breathing, appetite, or energy level, get him in right away.

The vet will *not* be vaccinating a sick kitten anyway. You may want to take him in now, and postpone the vaccines for a couple of weeks until he's fully recovered. You don't want to slam the immune system while it's busy taking care of a previous problem.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 2 of 2 Posts