Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a seven month old male - Tuffy (tabby shorthair) who never seems to shed much at all and then Satin (a bengal) who is three years old and sheds like crazy- is it because of the difference in age? Or some cats are just different?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
My boys tend to shed a good bit. I often find fur bunnies rolling around. I've found though, the higher the quality of their food, the less they shed. My boys do best on a grain free diet.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
It's at least their age, in part. Kittens tend not to shed much. Muffs and Abby hardly shed at all when they were kittens. They both shed a lot more now that they're around 18 months.

So, when Tuffy is older, he will likely shed more than he does now. He may or may not shed as much as Satin...that part will be the difference in the cat. A good diet also helps to reduce shedding.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Tuffy is still in his kitten coat. By the time spring rolls around, he may shed more when he's over a year old. Coats vary in "tightness", some are constant shedders and others have a tight coat that shed a lot less. Most cat's coats shed twice a year----in the spring in response to the lengthening light hours and again in the fall, before they get a winter coat. Yes even indoor cats have a thicker coat than in the summer.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
Generally, diet plays a large part ... but so can genetics. Our BooBoo cat is a shedder. Period. If you pet him, you're gettin' a handful of hair, no doubt about it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts