Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was considering getting these for my cat, however it occurred to me that they may also be good for one of my dogs. One old dog I have tippy-taps all over the hard floor making that irritating tippy-tap sound everywhere he goes.

Is the vinyl of softpaws actually soft? Or would they still make that same tappy sound on a hard floor?

·
Super Moderator
26,940 Posts
From Questions & Answers: Soft Paws for Dogs

Yes! Soft Paws® are great for protecting hardwood floors from scratches incurred by a dog's nails. To protect your wood floors, be sure to apply the nail caps to all four paws. The nail covers are also great for protecting other surfaces such as doors, walls, and furniture from scratches. Soft Paws® can even help prevent scratch injuries to people from overzealous canine greetings.
As you can see, it doesn't address the sound issue, only damage. But you can send them a question and they'll answer it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For cats, they didn’t work for my cats. Often fell off too. Easier to clip.

I would imagine the same for dogs.

But. If these don’t work for sound. What about dog socks for indoor wear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm.. didn't think about socks for the dog...
For all the going in and out (taking off and putting socks on)... not sure I'd have the attention for that. :unsure:

As for my cat...Interesting that the softpaws didn't work for you. I read such good reviews. Bummer.

Any tips for clipping nails? We've had such a time. We've been able to get 2 nails done (once). That was with one person holding and the other trying to keep that paw still.

·
Super Moderator
26,940 Posts
I actually had my girls' groomer put the soft paws on, they worked great for the time I needed them to. It took me a long time to cut my girls' nails on my own. Especially hard when they have long hair.

·
Registered
831 Posts
But. If these don’t work for sound. What about dog socks for indoor wear?

Dogs really hate to have anything on their paws.
If the nails are clicking it means they need to be trimmed. Take the dog to a groomer and have the nails trimmed. they shouldn't reach the floor when the dog is standing.

Do the same for the cats. there's no need to glue things on the nails. Just trim the ends of the nails.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the nails are clicking it means they need to be trimmed. Take the dog to a groomer and have the nails trimmed.
It was our groomer that said she can't trim his nails shorter. She used to be able to (and she's able to do so for our other dog), but for our labradoodle who is over 14 years old now, she said she can't trim them anymore. She files them some but I can't recall if she said they're too brittle or what.

As for the cat, any tips on trimming would be appreciated. It's our first cat and she hates her paws touched. How to do it without her scratching or biting?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's the response I got from SoftPaws:

Although Soft Paws will not completely eliminate the noise of your dog’s nails, we have had some customers tell us that they help to muffle the sound of clicking nails on hardwood floors. Soft Claws are vinyl nail caps that also help prevent the damage that is caused by rough nails on soft flooring.

We stand behind the product 100%, so if you don’t get the result you’re looking for, you can return the used kit within 90 days for a refund of the purchase price.

If you have any additional questions, or if we may be of further assistance, please let us know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Try different ways. I had one cat who refused to be clipped unless he was put in a baby position. Our kittens are like no we hate that.

I also had to change what clippers I used because the shear sound was too loud. Switched to one for animals with smaller claws and the noise from the clip isn’t so startling.

I try find reasons to post and pay with my cats’ paws without clippers. Just gently

Oh. And you don’t need to hold your cats paws on a death grip. That is not comfy. Just enough to bring out the claw a little.

Hope this helps.

And maybe soft paws have gotten better. I just realized I hadn’t tried since my old man cat was a year old!

·
Registered
831 Posts
It was our groomer that said she can't trim his nails shorter. She used to be able to (and she's able to do so for our other dog), but for our labradoodle who is over 14 years old now, she said she can't trim them anymore. She files them some but I can't recall if she said they're too brittle or what.

As for the cat, any tips on trimming would be appreciated. It's our first cat and she hates her paws touched. How to do it without her scratching or biting?
I really wonder why the groomer said that. I can't think of any reason that would be the case, no matter the age of the dog, so it makes me curious. I'd ask another groomer, if I were in your place. Long nails on a dog is not healthy because they can catch on things and trip the dog, or get torn, and if they get long enough they will start to deform the dog's toes and, eventually even the paws.

As for cat nails, I have a feisty cat who won't tolerate anything he doesn't like. I very slowly trained him to allow the nail trimming by just touching his paws when he was on my lap and giving him treats and petting and talking to him. from there I worked slowly up to holding a paw for a few seconds, and eventually to cutting one nail. Only one per day. It took months, I guess over a year, but now I can trim all the nails on one front foot at once, and if he is feeling especially kindly I can do both front feet. I don't trim the back ones unless I see them getting too long for it to be healthy. And of course I learned to do it really fast so it only takes maybe 10 seconds to do one paw.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Honestly, I thought it rather strange myself. The groomer (mobile groomer) used to be able to clip the dog's nails just fine. She cut the quick once so I wonder if that just made her not want to try?? Maybe I can get her to keep trying even if it's just a tiny bit each time.

Thanks for the tips for the cat. We had already started trying to touch her paws more often. (She always meows in protest.) But it's encouraging to hear that this slow process can actually work. It gives us the encouragement to keep at it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Honestly, I thought it rather strange myself. The groomer (mobile groomer) used to be able to clip the dog's nails just fine. She cut the quick once so I wonder if that just made her not want to try?? Maybe I can get her to keep trying even if it's just a tiny bit each time.
Ohhhh. Yeah. I bet you she is simply afraid to cut the quick again. Understandable. I accidentally cut our guinea pig’s quick and I felt awful. Maybe try a different groomer?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts