Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of the websites I have come across explain that a male cat should be neutered early on to avoid spraying.

My cat is about 1 year and 4 months old. I never had him neutered. I have never smelled anything foul, and I don't believe he sprays. He has even been moved 3 different locations since I have had him and he has been in a house with one other cat and a dog.

Is it possible he will never spray? I hope I got a really good cat. I would hate to neuter him. He is an all indoor cat (accept the few times he has 'snuck' out.. FREEDOM!!) :)

Kirk

·
Registered
761 Posts
Most of the time an unaltered cat will spray, but there is that small percentage that doesn't. You might just have one of those cats. Although your cat might not mark, there are several behavioral and medical benefits to neutering your cat. Hope this helped! :)

·
Registered
676 Posts
Why have you not neutered him? :(

Those times when he escapes to "freedom" are perfect chances for him to get a lot of other females pregnant, we already have too much of an over population problem as it is.

These pregnant females who might be ferals or strays, and then their kittens are ferals and strays, forced to live to who knows what horrible fait, because you don't want to neuter your cat.

Please think about it, It's good for your furry one, and all the others.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
MrMunchies said:
All of the websites I have come across explain that a male cat should be neutered early on to avoid spraying.

My cat is about 1 year and 4 months old. I never had him neutered. I have never smelled anything foul, and I don't believe he sprays. He has even been moved 3 different locations since I have had him and he has been in a house with one other cat and a dog.

Is it possible he will never spray? I hope I got a really good cat. I would hate to neuter him. He is an all indoor cat (accept the few times he has 'snuck' out.. FREEDOM!!) :)

Kirk
You're probably one of those lucky people that have gotten a non-spraying male. However, if you would get an other cat he might start to spray.

And when i sneeks out he can mate so please have him neutered if you dn't plan to use him for breeding.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, when I say 'freedom', I was talking about 5 minutes of chasing him back and forth in the yard -BUT- if there are other health benefits that go along with neutering my cat, I will have to consider it further.

Thank you, I'll do my research.
Kirk

·
Registered
14 Posts
On the note of spaying a male cat-
I am placing a kitten (maybe the female) within a home of an Uncle of mine who lives within an apartment home turned condo. My grandmother lived in this home when I was growing up so I know it well. There is no way for a cat to ever get out and this kitten will be an inside cat for as long as she lives. Although I I feel somewhat she will definately have a fantastic home to say the least and will live a ling and happy life and will be a fantastic pet and great company.

My question is this - Since she will never go outside does she, being female and will not spray, have to be nuetered?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have actually read that femal cats spray as well. Weather or not neutering them solves the problem.. I would assume so, but I dunno.

If she doesn't spray, what's the point in getting her neutered? That's what I am saying. My cat desn't get outside anymore, at all... and if he doesn't spray.. then what are the other benefits I am hearing of?

Kirk

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
as far as i know neutered cats are more affectionate to thier owners since they dont have other things on thier minds ;)

in the case of female cats as well as more affectionate i think if they are not spayed (im not 100% certain on this) when they are older they have higher chances of getting infections in the uterus.

i may be wrong hopefully someone wil comment lol

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
MrMunchies said:
I have actually read that femal cats spray as well. Weather or not neutering them solves the problem.. I would assume so, but I dunno.

If she doesn't spray, what's the point in getting her neutered?
A female cat yowls and howls constantly while in heat, it would probably get very annoying to listen to. :wink: Not to mention there is always the risk that they may someday get out of the house and get pregnant. My cat had not been around a male cat since she was a kitten. She was spayed at 6 months, before she ever went into heat.

·
Banned
410 Posts
My friends cat used to pee on clothes before she got spayed. As soon as she got spayed, she stopped.

This is kind of off subject, but I was told that you should always let a female cat have at least one litter because they will be nicer and more affectionate. I had Yoda fixed and she never had kittens--man, she is a mean old girl! That is why I was wondering if there is any truth to it. I don't think that Kittygirl had kittens before I adopted her and she is the most loving cat ever!

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
No, that's an old wive's tale. Some of my most loving pets were female cats who never had a litter. Every female or male cat without papers who is not spayed or neutered adds to the millions of cats and kittens euthanized in the US. It's a horrible problem. :(

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
kittygirl04 said:
My friends cat used to pee on clothes before she got spayed. As soon as she got spayed, she stopped.

This is kind of off subject, but I was told that you should always let a female cat have at least one litter because they will be nicer and more affectionate. I had Yoda fixed and she never had kittens--man, she is a mean old girl! That is why I was wondering if there is any truth to it. I don't think that Kittygirl had kittens before I adopted her and she is the most loving cat ever!
I have heard this too. Velvet never had a litter and she does have a bit of an attitude. I think it's just her, though. :wink:

·
Registered
676 Posts
kittygirl: Yeah, pay no attention to people who talk about their animals changing for the best after having a litter, it's bull hockey. This includes dogs as well.
Infact for male animals which get neutered their agression and territorial tendancies are lessened due to lack of testosteron.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
nosretep said:
On the note of spaying a male cat-
I am placing a kitten (maybe the female) within a home of an Uncle of mine who lives within an apartment home turned condo. My grandmother lived in this home when I was growing up so I know it well. There is no way for a cat to ever get out and this kitten will be an inside cat for as long as she lives. Although I I feel somewhat she will definately have a fantastic home to say the least and will live a ling and happy life and will be a fantastic pet and great company.

My question is this - Since she will never go outside does she, being female and will not spray, have to be nuetered?
Yes, they should have the female neutered. Neutering prevents diseases in the uterus and in the ovaries. A cat can't get sick in body parts that have been removed :)

Fertile female cats can get infections in the ovaries and in the uterus and they can get "breast cancer". So cats that aren't kept for bredding purposes should get neutered. It's a myth that a litter before neutering does the female good. There's no truth in it what so ever.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts