Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I asked yesterday if it's ok for Molly to have dry kitten food soaked in water or milk - today my question is -

Is it ok if at five weeks old she doesn't want milk anymore or does she need it for some reason?

She would much rather eat the wet food or dry soaked in water. I gave her milk this morning, which she lapped at a wee bit and then took off for Tuffys dry food -which she can't have. I've started putting his dishes up on the counter so he can get at them but she can't - otherwise it's a constant battle to keep her away - LoL

·
Banned
2,744 Posts
Is it ok if at five weeks old she doesn't want milk anymore or does she need it for some reason?
By milk do you mean formula? If you're feeding a high quality canned food and she doesn't want formula anymore, that's fine. I might continue to offer it for a while but don't stress if she won't eat it.
She would much rather eat the wet food or dry soaked in water. I gave her milk this morning, which she lapped at a wee bit and then took off for Tuffys dry food -which she can't have. I've started putting his dishes up on the counter so he can get at them but she can't - otherwise it's a constant battle to keep her away - LoL
Please consider getting Tuffy off kibble and putting both cats on canned food. It's so much better for them. The kitten should get 5-6 meals a day until 12 weeks (then 3 for another few months); the adult cat should get 2 a day.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I was wondering the same thing, well actually the opposite. LOL! Peanut loves her bottles and I was wondering how long to keep giving them to her? Do I need to wean her or will she give them up on her own. Right now she's 6 wks old and still drinks 2-3 bottle a day, usually around 1 1/2 oz at each feeding. She eats her canned food really well too though. I don't mind giving her the bottles, I love the snuggle time with, but just wondering at some point will I need to wean her or will she wean herself?

·
Banned
2,744 Posts
Given the natural order of things, kittens should be w/ mom and litter for 12 weeks. By that time they are barely nursing at all. I would continue offering formula (though consider making it yourself as Esbilac/KMR are NASTY!) but reduce the amount over time, which is what momcat would do.

·
Banned
603 Posts
I got Mia from the shelter at 7 weeks old. She was eating dry (quality) kitten food on her own and drinking only water.

I would begin by taking her off the bottle but giving her some kitten milk for the next week. I would also give her dry food that is easy to eat (pea size).

I have just taken in a stray kitty that they estimate to be 6 weeks old. She is on dry only (science diet kitten food, vet gave it to me) and drinking water well. :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
She occasionly nibbles at the dry, but mostly eats her wet. If the mother is feeding them some until 12 wks, should I continue to offer it until then and just slowly offer less as we approach 12 weeks?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Offer formula three times a day until seven weeks. Then cut her back to one bottle in the am and one in the pm. At ten weeks, go to one bottle in the evening. You should be able to stop forumula all together by week 12. I had one kitten who nursed on his mother, with mom's permission of course, until he was three years old. Miri would not let any of the girls in the litter nurse on her after the 11th week, just her son, Squealer. She did not stop offering her breasts, he just stopped suckling finally at age three! Talk about a momma's boy! Miri had been spayed when the kittens turned twelve weeks old, so it wasn't like Squealer was getting any milk all those years either.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts