Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a few of you know I am looking to go visit 2 kittens in order to choose between them. One breeder has been very good at keeping in touch and we have arranged a date and time to go visit.

The other however, I have had a little trouble getting hold of. A week ago I rang up as the site stated it preferred phone contact after the initial email. The lady sounded a bit unwell on the phone so I asked if she was ok and she said she had the flu. I said I was sorry for disturbing her and asked if she would prefer me to talk to her at another time, she said yes.

3 days ago I emailed her saying that I hope she was OK, and if she wanted to discuss the kitten over the phone at her convenience that was fine (and gave her my contact numbers) or said I was fine with email communication. I havent heard from her now in over a week, and I'm getting a bit antsy. I do know that I get a little fidgety when I am waiting to do something, and I understand she has been poorly, but email contact was very frequent (even on the day I called so she must have been online)

I was just wondering what breeders (or anyone who has bought a kitten from a breeder) would consider acceptable. Would it be ok for me to call her again tomorrow? I don't want to bug her by no means, and the last phone call didnt seem particularly positive, but I do want to go see the kitten before the really busy run up to Christmas begins. Her website states 'Your enquiry is very important to us so please cal the above number if you do not recieve a reply to your email in 2 days' but I dont want to be an impatient little brat :p So, should I wait, or call tomorrow...

·
Super Moderator
26,493 Posts
I don't know, it sounds a bit fishy to me. I mean, she could be busy, could be sick, but that doesn't excuse not communicating at least by email.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know, it sounds a bit fishy to me. I mean, she could be busy, could be sick, but that doesn't excuse not communicating at least by email.
I'm naturally quite pessimistic, and I have been let down in the past. I was adopting a rabbit once and was all ready to go get him, had arranged a date etc, and then no contact for a week, and on the day I was supposed to go get him they emailed saying they had found another home for him with a friend and that they were sorry... I was pretty heartbroken, I get too attached before I should (a fault of my own) so Im making sure not to do that again but I dont want to have my heart set on her only for it not to happen...

Hopefully she'll email me before Uni ends tomorrow so I wont have to make that decision. You'd think as a breeder she would like to find a nice home for a girl she has struggled to rehome due to age :(

·
Super Moderator
26,493 Posts
I know what you mean - especially with what I went through trying to rehome Gigi and people flaking on me. It's very frustrating.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats one of the reasons I put 'question for breeders' to see what people who rehome kittens a lot in this way think. Such as, if someone interested in a kitten didnt contact at all for a week, would they start considering other buyers. And would they usually not respond for such a long time even if they were busy?
Maybe shes got attached to her and didnt realise and is now wanting to keep her... Now I'm just speculating all the bad things which might be going on! :?:patback

·
Super Moderator
26,493 Posts
What's the status of your relationship? Does she know you are serious and want to come see the kitty? Bettie and I spoke on the phone and stayed in touch, emailing back and forth maybe 5-10 times a day until she met Gigi. She had a million questions and I loved answering every one of them, because it showed she cared so much about Gigi.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I emailed her at first as her site was a little confusing (a webmaster updates it, she is older and I assume not so computer literate, I sure couldn't make a website) there were kitten pics with the heading 'typical examples of kittens' so I emailed for clarification on which kittens she had. She explained that it took too long to get the pics on through her webmaster and that they usually sold before the pics were up so the pics weren't of available kittens but she did have a seal bi colour like I had enquired about. I asked for a pix if at all possible and she sent me one saying it was best to come see them as the pic wasn't the best. I said she was gorgeous and asked her age and her cost, which she provided (saying price was lower due to size and age) and I said I would love to come visit when the snow improves. My last message to her said I had managed to get my car on the road and asked if she was spayed, no answer to that as of yet.

Wall of text, sorry. I think I will ring tomorrow and say my Internet has been down and I was worried I'd missed an email. Little White lie to avoid looking crazy maybe lol

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I hope things work out, although when you call I would just tell her the truth. If she's a breeder, then you're not bugging her. You're a potential customer. So, tell her you're currently interested in two kittens, hers and another. You have an appointment to see the other kitten and would like to set up an appointment to see the Ragdoll. Perhaps if she knows you're looking at another one, as you are, then she might wake up...assuming she truly is interested in finding a home for the Ragdoll. Good luck!

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Seriously, it's not like she's giving away a kitten. She's selling it. Susan is right, you're a customer. Call her.

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
Call her. If she is selling the cat, she should be willing to return your email at least - unless she is in the hospital or bedridden the women should be capable of doing that! You don't need to be a breeder to tell this person is being pretty shady and simply not a very good business women at all.

Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
If I were you I would just drop her. She is definitely not interested, or some other circumstances are intervening. You want a breeder who will remain interested in your cat, someone you can count on for advice. Whatever is going on with this women, she is not reliable. As a former breeder I understand your frustration. It works both ways. I can remember some propspective owners who were wildly interested and then changed their mind without contacting me. Sometimes when I was able to contact them it was a partner who didn't want a cat or they were (usually) no longer able to pay the price, or had just lost a job.

·
Super Moderator
18,394 Posts
I would call her, but unless you find out that she's been extremely ill and unable to respond I would write her off. This (lack of) response is indicative of what you can expect out of her going forward. And more than likely is indicative of how she runs her cattery in general.

Have you researched how to identify a reputable breeder? There's a sticky at the top of the breeding forum. This site has an excellent article, it's Maine Coon centric, but most of the info cuts across all breeds:

Maine Coon Breeders and Fanciers (MCBFA): Articles

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I am not tech savvy at all and I can respond to emails within a few seconds via blackberry. Unless she is in the hospital I don't think she has a good excuse. Even if she did have the flu when you phoned her I don't see how she couldn't get out a date book and schedule you a time to see her cats. It would take five minutes. I'm sure most of us have done some work while ill, because sometimes you need to. Go see the other kitty, I wouldn't do business with someone who made no effort.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree it's not difficult to email :(

I believe she is indeed a reputable breeder from what I can see on her site. She has bred ragdolls for a long time and has won a lot of shows, and has pics of prev litters in their new homes etc, though it's hard to tell without visiting.

She will be called at around 3 this afternoon and if it's not satisfactory to me then my mind is made up.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay so she called me this afternoon and I just returned the call. Going to visit the kitty tomorrow at 4. She apologised for not being in contact earlier, so I am hoping everything seems okay when i go tomorrow, still a little uneasy :)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Thats nice that she got back to you and that you finally have a visit.

I would stay VERY wary and do NOT allow yourself to be hypnotized by the cute litte balls of fluff. Just remember, if you purchase from a breeder who doesn't have good business practices you are only facilitating more kittens being born into a bad situation.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thats nice that she got back to you and that you finally have a visit.

I would stay VERY wary and do NOT allow yourself to be hypnotized by the cute litte balls of fluff. Just remember, if you purchase from a breeder who doesn't have good business practices you are only facilitating more kittens being born into a bad situation.
I am going to try my very very best not to let this happen!

As for tomorrow, what should I be looking out for? I read the very helpful link provided earlier. i do know the lady has a very good show record, and I think it is a good sign that she kept this smaller kitten on rather than just trying to sell asap? She said she is still a little small to get her spayed and its best to give her another month or so. (when are males fertile btw? Gloworm is being neutered when he hits 6 month)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I am going to try my very very best not to let this happen!
Good for you!

As for tomorrow, what should I be looking out for?
I would look for any signs of illness. Things like runny eyes or noses, flea infestations, ear mites (or even just VERY dirty ears), scabby skin, patchy, dull, or dirty feeling coats are signs that the cattery isn't kept up to par. There are some breeders who have many show titles but don't treat all the cats in their cattery with the same care. I would suggest that you ask to go on a tour of the cattery and see all (or at least most) of their cats. If they try to confine you to one "visitation" area that may be a bad sign. A good cattery would be proud to show someone their operation. Also insist on meeting one or both of the kitten's parents (if at all possible). This influences the kittens adult personality and may be a good indicator of how the kitten will be when it gets older.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
I would be leery of a kitten that hasn't been sold with the rest of its litter mates. I'm not sure why the kitten being small should prevent it from selling it with the rest of them... why was it small and is it still small? Anyway, I would be on the lookout for any signs of physical or neurological problems the kitten might display.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would be leery of a kitten that hasn't been sold with the rest of its litter mates. I'm not sure why the kitten being small should prevent it from selling it with the rest of them... why was it small and is it still small? Anyway, I would be on the lookout for any signs of physical or neurological problems the kitten might display.
I am certainly not an expert, I just try to research as best I can to do the best for the kittens I have. I am not sure if size is a legitimate reason for a kitten being rehomed later. I also don't know the typical ragdoll litter size, (if there is one) I know my kitten was the only one in his litter (with a stillborn sibling) and another kitten I am looking at again is a single kitten.

This was her exact words when I asked about the availability of seal bi point (this is a seal bi female kitten who i have been running on as she was the smallest in the litter but she is a very pretty girl.)

Also: She is nearly six months and a bit small hense the price of £175 but is very
pretty and so friendly so looking for a nice loving pet home for her.

I know the price seems low for a ragdoll, but I do know her kittens are generally £375... Should I ask for any vetinary records? I assume that it is possible for a kitten just to be small and perfectly fine. Also I assume age has a decent part to play in the price, as I know so many people who want kittens as young as possible, and a 6 month old wouldnt be as tiny and cute as they might want...

1 - 20 of 63 Posts