Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are getting our puppy this weekend...finally!! YAY! ****

Any suggestions on how to introduce the puppy (4/12 mo/old Yorkie) to Stephen (5 y/o female SH)?

I have set up the puppy's crate so that Stephen gets used to seeing it around. She has already investigated it and now uses it to leap over. She actually will set her course to make sure she must leap over the crate in order to get somewhere! LOL

Also, I have always free fed Stephen. What is the best way to handle the two foods?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Hmm, I never really had to introdunce the dog to the cat. Rather it was the other way around. By the time we got our kittens Mugsy was 6 years old, he was very uniterested in the entire thing. He does really love the cats, however he is not very interested in them and they only go around him if they want to aggravate him, like bat his tail.

However we did have some food problems. Jerry(my cat) will sometimes eat Mugsys food. He doesnt eat alot thogh, so I just let him be.

Then Mugsy started to eat the cat food, except he would eat all of it. I free feed all the animals. So i put the cat food in a location where Mugsy can not get to it.

Good luck! and cograts on your newest addition.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
The most important thing is that the cat feels like she is safe in her own home. This means having one or more areas where the cat can get away that the puppy cannot access; and keep the puppy leashed for the first few times they meet. I just posted an article at http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library about cat-to-dog introductions that was in our last newsletter. Lots of details there, and in some of our other library articles.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Dr. Jean!

The puppy will be brought home in a kennel, and we will try the harness for the first few days. We plan to crate train, so the puppy will be in his/her crate during the day, which I think will help Stephen to get used to the puppy being around without feeling threatened.

I plan to put extra effort in keeping up with "our routines" b/t Stephen and I - i.e. our nightly cuddling, greeting at the door, etc.

Edit: Stephen lived with 2 small dogs at my mom's place for about 8 months when she was about 1 1/2. When the people from downstairs (basement) come up with their dogs and Stephen is in our arms, she handles the dogs sniffing her and such. I think she is used to their scents b/c of the vents in the house.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
With the puppy in a kennel during the day Stephen will have the luxury of exploring at her own pace. You know how cats are, they like to approach people/things, not be approached.

G'luck with it all. :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
The good thing about getting a Yorkie is that the dog won't be too big. When I brought home my Labrador, Angel found him very interesting. Coby, the puppy, was barely bigger than Angel so Angel didn't feel threatened. When he wasn't chasing her around, they would actually lay on the couch together and Angel would give Coby a bath (lick his nose and ears). I'm putting all this in past tense because I ended up getting rid of my puppy because Coby demanded a lot of attention and Angel wasn't getting the attention she needed. Anyway, Angel really enjoyed having her own room that she could hide out in. What I did was put a baby gate in the doorway of the laundry room. I put her food, water, litter box, and toys in that room. Any time she wanted to get away, she would just jump the gate and spend some alone time in the laundry room. Food wise, I think the only thing you might have to worry about is the cat eating the dog's food. That was my situation...I ended up locking Angel in my room long enough for Coby to eat his meals. Anyway, I think the cat and dog will be fine. Just remember, the cat was there first and she's going to make sure the dog knows that :wink: Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts